Accepting retail position while participating in the match: Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OroPharmD2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I begun considering residency late during third year of school. Needless to say I was involved in very few activities that would make me a good candidate for residency. Since I developed interest in hospital practice, I decided to apply for residency anyways. I applied to six program and received only one invitation for interview. So far two rejections and three programs keeping silent ( which I have concluded as rejection). During pharmacy school I worked as an intern at a retail pharmacy and was offered a pharmacist position for after graduation. But I hesitated to accept the position before I tried my luck with residency. Most of my classmates who decided to take retail route have accepted a job with the same company and have a job lined up right after graduation. Now I am tempted to accept a position even though I plan to rank the single program I am going to interview with. My question is if a miracle happens and I match with the program, will I be able to get out of my contract with the company? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did the company say that you or they could terminate the contract at any time? I accepted a retail position and signed the contract, but it a nonbinding contract. I'm thinking most places have nonbinding contracts unless they gave you a sign on bonus, which is pretty rare these days. You should read it and see what it says then you can decide.

Reactions: 1 user
I also accepted a retail position before I was accepted into my PGY-1 program. You need to check the fine print before you sign anything, to be sure. I also let the company know my intentions before I accepted my offer…I'm not saying that was the best move on my part, but I had worked for them for many years so I felt obligated.