ACEP Elections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that in last months ACEP News, 4 out of 9 of the candidates running for ACEP board positions are NOT residency trained in Emergency Medicine??? This is kind of crazy to me!!

In fact, there are 2 candidates for ACEP president, and only of them is residency trained in Emergency Medicine. Personally, I hope that our president and "representatives" are people who actually went through the same training and have the same educational background that we are required to have. I mean, there have been EM residency programs for 35 years now, so I don't think there's much of an excuse anymore.

Opinions???

Members don't see this ad.

I also noticed this. Even though residencies have been around for a while, they weren't common. Keep in mind that ABEM still allowed non-EM residency trained physicians to sit for emergency medicine board exams up until the mid 90's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, and we have insurance companies telling us how to treat our patients, Nurse Practitioners, PA's, and CRNA's telling us how to manage our patients, and malpractice lawyers giving us even less freedom to make our own decisions. I guess in the scheme of things, it is nice to have a doctor somewhere behind the wheel (whether they are EM trained or not).

Not to be too much of a sarcastic fool or anything :laugh:

Isn't that kind of the difference between AAEM and ACEP? Didn't ACEP have some big position state a couple years back about how you don't have to be EM trained to work in EM?

This was more of an issue back in the 90's than it is now between ACEP and AAEM. I think you would be hard pressed to find ACEP supporting non-boarded EM physicians working in the ED's. In fact both ACEP and AAEM worked together to keep North Carolina from following Florida's lead on this issue.