acg conference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsmith130077

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does ACG conference accept case reports? How good does it have to be? any input will be appreciated?
Any one has the template?

Members don't see this ad.

does ACG conference accept case reports? How good does it have to be? any input will be appreciated?
Any one has the template?

Yes they do and they don't have to be great quality (though they can't be crap either). In general the rigor of review for abstracts for ACG is far less than DDW. That being said when you have a bunch of ACG abstracts on your CV and nothing to DDW, this may be looked upon less favorably when applying for fellowship. Also, case reports are way down on the totem pole with regards to how fellowship programs view them when compared to research abstracts.

http://acgmeetings.gi.org/pdfs/ACG14_Call_for_Abstracts_Brochure.pdf

They publish them all in the supplement regardless of whether they are accepted. So $50 or so for an automatic but low impact pub.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
They publish them all in the supplement regardless of whether they are accepted. So $50 or so for an automatic but low impact pub.

I'm of the belief that you shouldn't try to play a DDW or ACG abstract (accepted or not) as a publication to Gastro or AJG on your CV, but hey, that's just me.

Meh, it's published in a supplement to the journals. It's not fooling anyone. depending on the subject matter could also end up in GIE.

Two questions guys-
1.Are the abstracts that are published in the supplement indexed in pub med?
2.I heard people say that if abstracts make just a little sense they are accepted. is it true?

Two questions guys-
1.Are the abstracts that are published in the supplement indexed in pub med?
2.I heard people say that if abstracts make just a little sense they are accepted. is it true?

No to both questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be submitting about 12 abstracts to ACG this year. Each one costs 60$, so 720$ total, is it worth it??

Members don't see this ad :)
thnx for the input gutonc..... Then wot do programs care for??

What's your level of training? are you applying to GI this year? Because it's a problem if you don't know the answer to this question yet

thnx for the input gutonc..... Then wot do programs care for??
Actual research. Instead of wasting time and money putting 12 different case reports together, do a chart study or work with an attending on a research project and write a paper.

This isn't med school application time. You're not going to be judged by the number of lines on your CV but by the quality of what's in there.

One first author paper >>>>>12 bulls*** case reports at a mediocre conference.

For anyone besides mr smith reading this, just know that you max benefit around 3 case reports. GI research is easy. Small sample sizes, retrospective studies, statistically significant but clinically irrelevant mediocre science abounds.

For anyone besides mr smith reading this, just know that you max benefit around 3 case reports. GI research is easy. Small sample sizes, retrospective studies, statistically significant but clinically irrelevant mediocre science abounds.

Change GI to clinical and you're spot on.

thank you for the input everyone. Is it worth converting the abstracts into case reports / research manuscripts and submitting them??

thank you for the input everyone. Is it worth converting the abstracts into case reports / research manuscripts and submitting them??
If they can be made into research then do it. The likelihood that you have 12 case reports that are worthy of publication is vanishingly small. Do you not have a mentor? If not, you need one.

wen does ACG get back regarding abstract approval or rejection??

their website says july. judging by last year's responses, sometime in mid july. i imagine you are asking to update your eras cv? it's going to be a close call, but you can always update the application i guess.

ok, thnx.. appreciate it. Btw do you know the deadline for making the posters?

ok, thnx.. appreciate it. Btw do you know the deadline for making the posters?

No information about that on the website...maybe there will be instructions on the "congrats your abstract was accepted" email? Otherwise, they may not have a deadline other than the actual conference day. Maybe someone who has gone before to ACG can answer this, sorry.

Hello…has anyone heard back from ACG yet? Thanks!

nothing yet, call them today they said "today or tomorrow", hoping for tomorrow

Yup. If it says "action required" in the subject heading, congrats, your abstract was accepted :)