ACGME Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMADO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any RECENT info on ACGME Anesthesiology board score range for matched applicants? Im just dying to know this precious info ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Any RECENT info on ACGME Anesthesiology board score range for matched applicants? Im just dying to know this precious info ! :)

A 230 will get you into a pretty good university program.

As a DO med student, is it safe to say that if you get good scores on step 1 and step 2, that you should be able to get into a residency such as Anesthesia, GenSurgery, or Internal Medicine? That is, into an ACGME residency?
I mean I think the step exams should be the equalizer in determining who is "more" qualified for an ACGME residency, don't you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a DO med student, is it safe to say that if you get good scores on step 1 and step 2, that you should be able to get into a residency such as Anesthesia, GenSurgery, or Internal Medicine? That is, into an ACGME residency?
I mean I think the step exams should be the equalizer in determining who is "more" qualified for an ACGME residency, don't you think?
it really depends on the field, eg. anesthesia and IM are more along the lines of what you are saying; general surgery is harder for DOs to match.

No, not exactly. As pattr said, some fields, particularly the surgical subspecialties, like urology, will not interview DOs regardless of their scores.

Okay then, I get what you're saying. But for the most part Anes, IM, ER, and other specialties around their competitiveness should be well attainable if you get good scores on the step exams.

No, not exactly. As pattr said, some fields, particularly the surgical subspecialties, like urology, will not interview DOs regardless of their scores.

While this is definitely true of ENT and a few others, this isn't true across the board. Urology and Ophtho are reasonably open to DOs. Not DO friendly, but doable with a good USMLE.

Okay then, that gives me hope of being able to specialize. I just need to make sure to get good step scores. How about rotations? Are rotations easily attainable at the places you would want to attend?

"pre medical"

why dont you slow down there a bit bud. worry about getting in to medical school first. I find it absolutely unbelievable that pre meds would even be THINKING about step 1. I dont even think I knew what it was when I was in college.

Im currently a ms4, and about to start applying in a couple weeks, but ive been in contact with around 15 DOs that matched allo gas within the last 2 cycles. 215-229 will get you a match, but maybe not at a fantastic program. 230-249 and you'll match at a solid mid tier. 250+ and youre only out of the harvards and yales, pretty much everything else is open.

obviously these numbers are anecdotal and not concrete, but its about the best assessment ive received from my research.

Last edited:
yes, other specialties around their competitiveness should be well attainable if you get good scores on the step exams.
kRf6

Seeing as how this thread has been inactive for about a year, what do you guys think of a 231 step 1 score in terms of competitiveness for anesthesiology? I'm a DO student hoping to match to an ACGME residency.

I don't think things have changed that much in the last year, and the info above is still perfectly relevant. Based on the folks I know who matched in the last cycle, 230 will get you a decent # of interviews at mid-tier university programs. If you follow on the anesthesia subforum this season you'll see if it ends up being any different, but I doubt it will.

Reactions: 1 user