ACGME-International Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DIC9587

Reaction score
Hi,

I searched the forums looking for info regarding ACGME-International accreditation but I could not find anything. Anyone knows what this accreditation actually means and whether it is helpful when applying to residency in the US?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

ACGME-I means that the international program was reviewed by the ACGME and found to meet all of its standards. When this first was announced, I thought that the ACGME would then lobby for states to allow ACGME-I training for licensure, but that has not happened. The main benefit of ACGME-I training, esp in IM, is that with it you can apply for a US fellowship without redoing a residency. Fellowship training counts as US experience, so you can get a state license to practice with it. I don't know how successful ACGME-I grads hav been at getting fellowships, but for the low competitive ones (Nephrology, ID) I expect it would work.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. ACGME-I allows foreign residents to apply directly to fellowship programs without having to do a US residency.

Reactions: 1 user