ACGME Programs that take COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Planes2Doc

I enjoy the nightlife
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an OMS-3 that wants to do emergency medicine. I was wondering if there are any ACGME emergency medicine programs that will take applicants that have COMLEX only? I am going to apply to all AOA programs, but wanted to apply to ACGME programs as well. Are there certain regions in the country or programs in particular that will take applicants who haven't taken the USMLE? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Prolly are multiple posts in past on this so search the forums. Overall you'll have to check each program's website to see what their policy is (SAEM Residency Catalog is good resource). Most larger academic programs probably don't take COMPEX. Regionally the west coast, NW, and NE prolly not as many COMLEX-friendly programs, although will be exceptions. Midwest pretty COMLEX-friendly (again with exceptions). My advice would be to take USMLE- will give you many more options than just COMLEX.

Hi, I'm an OMS-3 that wants to do emergency medicine. I was wondering if there are any ACGME emergency medicine programs that will take applicants that have COMLEX only? I am going to apply to all AOA programs, but wanted to apply to ACGME programs as well. Are there certain regions in the country or programs in particular that will take applicants who haven't taken the USMLE? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Some of the newer programs may take COMLEX. I think if you are applying with only COMLEX, you should apply with 600+ level 1 and take USMLE Step 2. Also, you need to consider how competitive you are for both sides of the match. For MD, you'll want to try 2 aways at MD programs as a DO. AOA programs really value AOA rotations, so if you want to maximize your AOA chances, you may want to go all in and rotate at as many AOA programs as possible. I was about a 570 on both comlex levels and only did one AOA rotation. I applied 35 and got about 6 AOA interviews. None were in Michigan or Ohio, even in perceived less competitive programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
The midwest is by far the most DO friendly. Especially Michigan and Ohio.

There are a number that accept COMLEX only. Look at each program's website for specific requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
The midwest is by far the most DO friendly. Especially Michigan and Ohio.

There are a number that accept COMLEX only. Look at each program's website for specific requirements.

Great thanks!!! I'm in the midwest so will check those states out. I know there are a bunch of AOA programs in Michigan especially, but will look at the ACGME ones too.

Look for ACGME programs that are dual accredited or new ACGME programs that were previously AOA programs. You should try to take Step 2 if you want to maximize your chances while applying to ACGME programs.

Last edited:
Look for ACGME programs that are dual accredited or new ACGME programs that were previously AOA programs. The problem is many PDs do not know how to interpret COMLEX scores compared to applicants with USMLE. You should try to take Step 2 if you want to maximize your chances while applying to ACGME programs.

Even at dual programs, there is no guarantee that the ACGME side of the program knows about the specific details of the COMLEX. I interviewed for an ACGME position at a dually accredited and was asked point blank about my COMLEX score. The PD did not know how to interpret the "value" of my score.

The COMLEX is a terrible test and there is no reason not to take the USMLE. It makes it easier for PDs to compare apples to apples and will give a better assessment of you.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want ACGME, take the USMLE. Plenty of MS3's have taken step 1 and step 2 in their 3rd year.

If that isn't an option, then you are limiting yourself to midwest programs in less desirable locations albeit still very strong programs (think Toledo). Several of my classmates, with even average USMLE scores had 6-8, and with the exception of a few URMs most that took comlex only are looking at 2-3 invites.
I second this. It's all about Usmle as a DO and some excellent SLOEs from ACGME residencies. I have very average Usmle scores and have 12 interviews. Take the Usmle it will do wonders as long as you do at least average on it!

I second this. It's all about Usmle as a DO and some excellent SLOEs from ACGME residencies. I have very average Usmle scores and have 12 interviews. Take the Usmle it will do wonders as long as you do at least average on it!
What if all you scored was a 198? And ur COMLEX is > 550

What if all you scored was a 198? And ur COMLEX is > 550
A 550 is average if I recall and while most PDs they know COMLEX exists do not know what is great vs average. A 550 won't get you in the door anymore than a 600 or 650 will, so if you apply to COMLEX friendly programs a 198 may hurt. However, getting even a 210 or 220 will grant you a few more interviews. Keep in mind passing i like 192, so if you barely pass USMLE you should rethink going allopathic anyway.

If you are considering ACGME, take the USMLE (literally just take them a week a part with some OMM studying in between, it's not as bad as it sounds). Otherwise, focus your attention on the AOA match. You might get some interviews with just COMLEX but will it be enough for you to forgo the AOA match? If not then I wouldn't bother, I would go all or nothing with either match.

I did take USMLE step 1 but only scored 198. It's probably in my best interest to place more focus on the AOA match including doing at least 2 auditions, hopefully 3. But I want to apply to any ACGME programs who'll at least give me a look, in case I don't match AOA. And I'm also faced with the challenge of getting at LEAST 1 SLOE from a MD program for my ACGME apps. It's just a real pain in the butt to try to meet requirements for both AOA & ACGME when you hafta do so many AOA auditions + get MD program SLOEs. I'm an average applicant on paper so I'm trying to optimize my chances. And even tho I agree that doing better on USMLE step 2 might help, I'm not sure I can find the money when I'm already paying for COMLEX and traveling for auditions.

Your chances at AOA programs will be much better than with ACGME.

Unfortunately you're probably not going to get much love from MD programs as a DO with a Step 1 less than 200. Your best bet will probably be to rotate at as many DO programs as possible and just focus on the AOA match.

I did take USMLE step 1 but only scored 198. It's probably in my best interest to place more focus on the AOA match including doing at least 2 auditions, hopefully 3. But I want to apply to any ACGME programs who'll at least give me a look, in case I don't match AOA. And I'm also faced with the challenge of getting at LEAST 1 SLOE from a MD program for my ACGME apps. It's just a real pain in the butt to try to meet requirements for both AOA & ACGME when you hafta do so many AOA auditions + get MD program SLOEs. I'm an average applicant on paper so I'm trying to optimize my chances. And even tho I agree that doing better on USMLE step 2 might help, I'm not sure I can find the money when I'm already paying for COMLEX and traveling for auditions.
I agree with Alpinism. Do 3 or 4 DO auditions and you should be ok.

Last edited:

Will not sugar coat it, you are below average on paper. There may be a chance to get interviews with a dramatic increase in step 2 and good SLOE's, but that's a big risk. Safer bet is, as suggested above, do 3+ DO auditions.

Thanks alpinism, Bucks901, & DO2016EM. I needed realistic feedback to know where to focus. Plus I'd be really upset if I paid for USMLE step 2 and it didn't help me. It is worrisome after reading so many posts from this last AOA match of all the seemingly competitive EM applicants that didn't match.

Thanks alpinism, Bucks901, & DO2016EM. I needed realistic feedback to know where to focus. Plus I'd be really upset if I paid for USMLE step 2 and it didn't help me. It is worrisome after reading so many posts from this last AOA match of all the seemingly competitive EM applicants that didn't match.

I think where most people make mistakes with the AOA programs is not rotating at many of them. These programs value face time, so a good strategy would be to pick 3 or 4 of your favorite programs (maybe 2 competitive ones and 2 less competitive ones) to do Auditions at. When you get interviews at places that you didn't rotate at, you can ask to shadow or do a shift or two before/after your interview day. It seems like a pain, but it's how the DO game is played currently. Board scores are definitely not a major factor in the AOA match. They will play a part, but face time is probably most important.

If you want ACGME, take the USMLE. Plenty of MS3's have taken step 1 and step 2 in their 3rd year.

If that isn't an option, then you are limiting yourself to midwest programs in less desirable locations albeit still very strong programs (think Toledo). Several of my classmates, with even average USMLE scores had 6-8, and with the exception of a few URMs most that took comlex only are looking at 2-3 invites.

That is a condescending comment you made toward a specific group of people. I am appalled as it's coming from a medical student with PhD.

That is a condescending comment you made toward a specific group of people. I am appalled as it's coming from a medical student with PhD.

And your comment is super timely and relevant. It sounds like he was making indeed making a comment about a specific group of people. Apparently in his class there is a subset of students that are both URM and had more than 6-8 interviews (at the time of his comment, 3 months ago!). How else would you expect him to characterize those students? What is your point by bumping an old thread and accusing someone else of being condescending? And what difference does it make what their educational background or context is?

And your comment is super timely and relevant. It sounds like he was making indeed making a comment about a specific group of people. Apparently in his class there is a subset of students that are both URM and had more than 6-8 interviews (at the time of his comment, 3 months ago!). How else would you expect him to characterize those students? What is your point by bumping an old thread and accusing someone else of being condescending? And what difference does it make what their educational background or context is?

OK. this comment might have been situational and I don't have a good idea of how D.O worl functions. But I can tell you that as an allopathic student, I don't feel that I get any exceptional treatment from ACGME programs. I don't want other URMs reading this thread get a wrong message. Do programs have preference for certain types of individuals? Yes, they do. But, being an URM is what will help you get more interviews is not true. You need good board scores, good grades, good SLOEs and good interviews.