ACHD Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krawdaunt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a lowly MS1 here, but recently I heard that a formal (I am assuming this means ACGME certified) ACHD advanced fellowship is being (or has already been, if I'm just slow on the uptake) set up.

Purely out of curiosity, I am just wondering what a cardiologist specializing in ACHD (ACHD cardiologist?) does really, besides most basic answer of dealing with congenital heart disease patients. Why is it being made into a formal fellowship now? Would it be classified as invasive or noninvasive cardiology? Because they are making a formal fellowship for it, is there a demand for them in the market currently? Tried to search if there were more up to date sdn threads about this in general, but failed. If there are, I guess I fail at searching. Either way, thanks for your answers!

Members don't see this ad.

It's interventional for the most part. They do procedures that deal with the most challenging and varied anatomy. Pulm valvuloplasties and replacements , placing leads across baffles, closing holes in strange places. It should be formally taught and not done ad hoc. Finally the patient population is going up and up as survival from surgery in infancy has skyrocketed in the past couple of decades. We're a long way from the days of baby fae now