Acid/Base compensation is Kaplan is weird

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobebucsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the Kaplan book, they have all these ratios that we have to calculate to see if they r compensated. I doubt Step1 requires us to do all that math, but if its in the book then its fair game ??

Members don't see this ad.

I guess that if you know the mechanisms of each compensation you don't need the formula since you can intuitively ''feel'' if the values are where they should be

yeah i sat through that kaplan lecture live... if you have the time doesn't hurt to know the low yield ration calculations. And yes if it happens to a human its fair game, hence the random struck by lightning question in Uworld haha

Members don't see this ad :)
The ratios aren't hard it all, they probably seem that way because its something new to you. Just write all four of them down somewhere to give yourself an easier visual to retain.

Afraid so, though I'm not sure if its tested on the USMLE. These ratios essentially help you pick up combined disturbances e.g. metabolic acidosis and resp alkalosis that are both pathologic in nature, as opposed to the latter occurring as a compensatory measure.