Acid/base/pH problem

Started by 549
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

549

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Passage talks about chlorinating water in swimming pools, and gives the following reaction equation:

Cl2(g) + H2O <> HCl (aq) + HOCl (aq), Keq=(1E-3)

Q:If the pH of swimming pool water is 5, what is the concentration of HOCl?

A: If the pH is 5, then the [HCl] must be (1E10-5), and this equals the [HOCl] as well because they are formed in a 1:1 ratio.

I attempted to answer this question a little differently though. I used the Keq given, and used it as the dissociation constant for HClO <> H+ + ClO- and calculated the [HOCl] needed to have produced pH 5, if all the H+ ions were from HOCl. Since this gives a value of [HOCl] much larger than what it actually would have been if I had used the real Keq for the reaction, I chose the only answer that was smaller than what I calculated, which was incorrect.

While I understand the answer given, I don't understand where exactly my logic fails, though clearly it does! Any help appreciated 🙂
 
Why would you use the Keq given and apply it to a completely different reaction? That is clearly wrong. HCl is a much stronger acid than HClO, so assume that all the protons produced can be attributed to HCl. [HCl] before dissociation = [HOCl] because the source of both is Cl2 and water.

Passage talks about chlorinating water in swimming pools, and gives the following reaction equation:

Cl2(g) + H2O <> HCl (aq) + HOCl (aq), Keq=(1E-3)

Q:If the pH of swimming pool water is 5, what is the concentration of HOCl?

A: If the pH is 5, then the [HCl] must be (1E10-5), and this equals the [HOCl] as well because they are formed in a 1:1 ratio.

I attempted to answer this question a little differently though. I used the Keq given, and used it as the dissociation constant for HClO <> H+ + ClO- and calculated the [HOCl] needed to have produced pH 5, if all the H+ ions were from HOCl. Since this gives a value of [HOCl] much larger than what it actually would have been if I had used the real Keq for the reaction, I chose the only answer that was smaller than what I calculated, which was incorrect.

While I understand the answer given, I don't understand where exactly my logic fails, though clearly it does! Any help appreciated 🙂
 
It wasn't that I was trying to apply the Keq value to a different equation (which I agree makes no sense)- I was trying to use it as a "benchmark." Anyway, I think my method just introduces too many estimations, and is probably why it doesn't work. Thanks anyway...