acne/scars/skin issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudent2018

lab rat
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what do you guys do about acne breakouts, scarring, or just splotchy skin during clinical rotations? Obviously good skincare routines, but sometimes you just can't prevent it happening at an inopportune time-aka interviews. I mean, am I overthinking it or do y'all think it looks less groomed, somewhat unprofessional?

(And yes I've tried everything medically- Accutane got rid of most of it, but I still get noticeable pimples maybe once or twice a month and have scars from the past decade of acne)

P.S. If it matters, I'm mostly asking about men, but ladies with the same issues are welcome to comment too.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding like a stereotypical derm resident, I have to say that I do think your skin plays a role in your interview outcome. A small part of it is how you are perceived - definitely a slightly less professional look when you have poorly controlled acne - but the larger part is actually the way you feel, which impacts how you present yourself. Almost everyone feels a little self-conscious when they have a pimple between the eyes or a cold sore around the mouth. During interview season, you need to be your best self: confident, relaxed.

I suppose if you've sincerely tried everything medically, you just need to get into the mindset of not being bothered by the appearance and coming across confidently and personably in spite of it.

I'd be curious to hear what other people think of men wearing makeup on the interview trail? That's an option too...

My advice would be to use natural moisturizers each day. Also, shaving the wrong way can play a part in this. I recently switched to a safety razor and switch out the blades approximately every 3 shaves. I hardly have any razor irritation breakouts anymore. Another thing to consider is diet. Are you consistently eating heathy? If lots of sugars are routine, you might want to consider revising your diet. I would try a few of these things for possible improvement. Remember that certain acne products can actually exacerbate more issues. Start with the easy stuff before moving to extreme measures of medically treating the acne.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the risk of sounding like a stereotypical derm resident, I have to say that I do think your skin plays a role in your interview outcome. A small part of it is how you are perceived - definitely a slightly less professional look when you have poorly controlled acne - but the larger part is actually the way you feel, which impacts how you present yourself. Almost everyone feels a little self-conscious when they have a pimple between the eyes or a cold sore around the mouth. During interview season, you need to be your best self: confident, relaxed.

I suppose if you've sincerely tried everything medically, you just need to get into the mindset of not being bothered by the appearance and coming across confidently and personably in spite of it.

I'd be curious to hear what other people think of men wearing makeup on the interview trail? That's an option too...
I think you're coming off sounding like a stereotypical derm resident! :bucktooth:

I've seen patients using spironolactone off-label and claim it worked a miracle but I don't know how widely prescribed it is for acne (or how effective)

At the risk of sounding like a stereotypical derm resident, I have to say that I do think your skin plays a role in your interview outcome.

Interesting idea. I can't say I've ever seen any guys wearing makeup (outside of TV/movies obviously). Haha just imagining myself nervously slinking up to Sephora counter or something....

Interesting idea. I can't say I've ever seen any guys wearing makeup (outside of TV/movies obviously). Haha just imagining myself nervously slinking up to Sephora counter or something....
Just get one of the girls in your class to go to Sephora for you! haha!

Salicylic acid face/body scrub in the shower for normal control. For breakout cases, twice (or more) daily application with salicylic pads (ie. rapid clear), and spot treatment with benzoyl peroxide cream after the salicylic has dried. This is based totally on personal experience and not on any literature or medical knowledge.

I'm a female, but Accutane worked wonders for me too. (I'm still kicking myself for not starting it EARLIER.. I would not have to deal with all the scars and expensive treatments). Have you tried TCA peels? I haven't noticed a huge difference, but people who don't see me on an everyday basis tell me that my skin looks great and is improving. My skin is less red, but the deep ice prick scars are still there and it's impossible to remove.. :( Makeup does wonders.

I've seen patients using spironolactone off-label and claim it worked a miracle but I don't know how widely prescribed it is for acne (or how effective)

I prescribe it all the time for adult acne.

In females.

If I have a pimple (always have 1-2 at a time since starting med school), I use Neutrogena SkinClearing Blemish Concealer. It's a stick. It's makeup, but it gets rid of the pimples within a day or two (seems to quicken the cycle of pus coming to the top then drying up and flaking off). Maybe you could wear it on the pimple at home when you study or something. Also, adequate sleep definitely helps.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

A strategy to try is get in with a Dermatologist who is willing to see you acutely. Then when you have an event like an interview or other important social gathering, get in to see him/her a few days prior if you have any lesions. Some ILK will help a bunch.

Although acne is a common problem, it is still considered a medical condition, so we have to be careful how we discuss here so we don't go against the tos.

ill be a derm resident next year, and i still have acne/scars. i think you'll be ok

I want to cure my acne as well..... anyone know any medication for hormonal acne?

So what do you guys do about acne breakouts, scarring, or just splotchy skin during clinical rotations? Obviously good skincare routines, but sometimes you just can't prevent it happening at an inopportune time-aka interviews. I mean, am I overthinking it or do y'all think it looks less groomed, somewhat unprofessional?

(And yes I've tried everything medically- Accutane got rid of most of it, but I still get noticeable pimples maybe once or twice a month and have scars from the past decade of acne)

P.S. If it matters, I'm mostly asking about men, but ladies with the same issues are welcome to comment too.

I suffer from eczema and always apply moisturizer in the shower but I avoid my forehead because I have oily skin up there and can break out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I use Anthony sport instant fix oil control. 3 oz bottle small enough to keep in white coat pocket. Whenever I feel like my face is perspiring I just sanitize my hands and use an almond sized amount on each cheek, bridge of my nose, and forehead. Gives a matte finish and soaks up excess oil.

Amazon product