ACOM and Its Affiliation with SAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gradmaster_sd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a question regarding ACOM... in reading through various other posts, I noticed a lot of people have cited ACOM's association with SAMC to be an advantage or one of the reasons why they chose to attend the school. I was wondering what exactly is the advantage of being associated with a teaching hospital? Does it provide unique opportunities for students compared to other schools that may not have a teaching hospital nearby? It is easier to gain hands-on patient care experience during the first 2 years? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I'm a second year at ACOM, if either of you still have a question about his just PM me and I would be more than happy to talk to you about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will answer this question for the general pre-med population. You have to remember two things.

1) Locality of the hospitals
2) Strong affiliations to that hospital

ACOM has a strong hold to its hospital system. The biggest thing is that ACOM students have a hospital focused mainly on them. They are not getting dropped from these rotations (which happens with some schools that have far away rotation sites with weak affiliations). Without strong affiliations and local rotations, ACOM students could easily be dropped when hospitals feel the need to affiliate with another school. This is the largest flaw of all DO schools.

I will answer this question for the general pre-med population. You have to remember two things.

1) Locality of the hospitals
2) Strong affiliations to that hospital

ACOM has a strong hold to its hospital system. The biggest thing is that ACOM students have a hospital focused mainly on them. They are not getting dropped from these rotations (which happens with some schools that have far away rotation sites with weak affiliations). Without strong affiliations and local rotations, ACOM students could easily be dropped when hospitals feel the need to affiliate with another school. This is the largest flaw of all DO schools.

SAMC president is also president of ACOM. So in the case all of rotation slots are taken, we still have super big hospital to take our own student.

SAMC president is also president of ACOM. So in the case all of rotation slots are taken, we still have super big hospital to take our own student.

Not true. SAMC cannot house all of ACOM but with the AMEC pipeline, no students will be dropped because all rotations are owned by AMEC which gives these hospital incentive and it's worth it so they don't want to contract with someone else

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Not true. SAMC cannot house all of ACOM but with the AMEC pipeline, no students will be dropped because all rotations are owned by AMEC which gives these hospital incentive and it's worth it so they don't want to contract with there.
I'm just being sarcastic. Of Course I know it's cant happen.

You've proved my point actually. ;)

Also, SAMC is planning on starting their internal medicine residency program in July 2018. So if you ever rotate through SAMC and the physicians and residency program director sees that you're a hard worker and a good fit for the program, it gives you an advantage.