ACOM rotation sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on ACOM rotation sites? I have a document that gives a small amount of detail regarding the sites but it isn't enough info on the sites in my opinion.

Anyone have experience or know which the best or worst are for someone who is interested in surgical subspecialties?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from ACOM, I can really only speak to a couple sites but I could try to answer questions. Are you a current student?

If I remember correctly, Tallahassee was known for being good for surgery along with Decatur. When you are in 2nd year, they have a "career fair" type event where you speed-date with the core site coordinators from the different sites. That's when you have a great opportunity to ask about the surgical subspecialties available for rotations and what your cores are like. I believe Tallahassee had two months of gen surg vs other sites. I will say, ACOM is known for having good rotation sites and even if you don't end up at one that is ideal, you can always switch in 4th year entirely or can just do visiting rotations at other sites. I ended up starting at one site then switched to a completely different one after 3rd year because they had more Peds rotations. So, honestly, it really doesn't matter which site you start off with since your cores will basically be the same and you can go anywhere you want within their network of core sites to get the rotations you want.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from ACOM, I can really only speak to a couple sites but I could try to answer questions. Are you a current student?
Yes I am. I start second year in the fall. I appreciate your response. I just like to have a grasp on things so I can make the best decision haha.

Yes I am. I start second year in the fall. I appreciate your response. I just like to have a grasp on things so I can make the best decision haha.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll have that mini-career fair type event and you will get to ask tons of questions to the coordinators. I ended up in Gadsden for 3rd year (was a solid site and my schedules were much better than a lot of my classmates), and switched to Panama City afterwards because their hospital had more Peds. If anything, I would just compile a list of some questions you can ask them about like which specialties are available at their site. Also, it helps if the hospital has free food for their med students (not all sites have this benefit and it is not something to be overlooked lol)

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll have that mini-career fair type event and you will get to ask tons of questions to the coordinators. I ended up in Gadsden for 3rd year (was a solid site and my schedules were much better than a lot of my classmates), and switched to Panama City afterwards because their hospital had more Peds. If anything, I would just compile a list of some questions you can ask them about like which specialties are available at their site. Also, it helps if the hospital has free food for their med students (not all sites have this benefit and it is not something to be overlooked lol)

Yea I was reading through an upperclassman's notes on the rotation fair and some of the benefits are crazy! They had in their notes that one site provides cheap housing or even free housing (mind blown). My main thing is that I dont want to end up at a rotation site that the preceptors refuse to give high grades to.

Tallahassee and Mobile. The quality of preceptors varies based on who you get but in terms of connections and networking with surgical subspecialties they're your best bet. The surgeons are genuinely supportive just make sure you tell them you're interested in a surgical field otherwise they'll pimp you less and dismiss you early to let you study.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Yea I was reading through an upperclassman's notes on the rotation fair and some of the benefits are crazy! They had in their notes that one site provides cheap housing or even free housing (mind blown). My main thing is that I dont want to end up at a rotation site that the preceptors refuse to give high grades to.
For that info, I would go directly to other med students. I got high grades pretty easily at both Gadsden and Panama City.

Larger sites = generally more/better surgery.
Smaller sites = more benefits like free meals, maybe housing.
I found grading to be preceptor specific, not associated with a core site per say.

Mobile as mentioned will have multiple options as they have several sites there which equals more opportunities.