ACOM vs Touro-Middletown: Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLAF211

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepted to both schools and am torn - would appreciate any and all commentary!

ACOM:
pros:
- seemingly stronger rotation network (+ in cities like Montgomery, Mobile, etc)
- very impressive interview day (speakers had their stuff together, students seemed engaged and legitimately happy & friendly)
- beautiful campus, light-filled building
- nearby housing that's NOT dorm style
- laptop & iPad included in tuition (I'd likely buy both new for restarting school so saves a little hassle/$$$)

cons:
- FAR: I'm currently in Philly and picture myself more than likely practicing in the northeast eventually. My family is also all in Pennsylvania.
- new school - seems like COMLEX performance was ok but unknown residency placement record
- class schedule is lecture based, 80% attendance mandatory, schedule seems to change week to week (versus a steady weekly schedule)
- Dothan is a city but there doesn't seem to be that much to do. Current students listed few things to do around town that didn't involve driving 90+ minutes to the panhandle.

Touro-Middletown:
pros:
- flipped curriculum. I'm not sure how I feel about having to sit through hours and hours of mandatory video watching but I REALLY liked the application and discussion demo that we did as part of interview day. I know that I get more out of that time of class time versus sitting through traditional lecture where I zone out.
- in the northeast. Nearer to Philly and family. Could move via car/U-haul versus plane, and easily check out housing some weekend ahead of time.
- no Match results yet, but presuming they're similar to Harlem's (given the identical curriculum) that's pretty impressive.

cons:
- depressing building. the library is in the basement! I did that in undergrad and would prefer to not reenact.
- Middletown as a town is small and rural. Goshen is cute but also not remotely close to 'city'. I'm not particularly outdoorsy so while it's certainly beautiful, I wouldn't be one to really appreciate all the hiking/biking/climbing strengths of the region.
- disorganized interview day. Financial aide director seemed totally out to lunch during her (quite minimal) presentation. Makes me nervous that the disorganized theme would carry on throughout.

Thoughts, anyone? Perhaps especially some current students at ACOM or Middletown?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both and was accepted at both, and decided not to attend either, because I have recieved acceptance at Bradenton and CUSOM which are higher up in my list. If I had to make a decision between ACOM and touro, i would chose ACOM. I am from New York myself, and wanted to get out, and practice medicine down south, so ACOM seemed like the perfect choice. I was very impressed with their facilities, their staff, and the speakers, they really seemed to have everything together! I also sensed a greater sense of community, but I felt it was very far and had better options (but it was higher up on the list compared to Touro). I found touro to be very depressing, desolate, and unorganized, i wasnt impressed, and I knew I was not going to attend half-way through the interview. The snow, the cold, and depression would just get at me. With that being said, if you plan on practiciing in the North then Touro is probably the better option, since they will have rotations near the city. If you plan on doing the South, then chose ACOM. But in my opinion, ACOM was better

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @crazyboi1993, glad I'm not the only one who felt it was a little depressing.

Anyone else care to sound off? Any current students or applicants/interviewees?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what you should be considering:

NY deli food and pizza vs lots of fried foods and grits.

Accepted to both schools and am torn - would appreciate any and all commentary!

ACOM:
pros:
- seemingly stronger rotation network (+ in cities like Montgomery, Mobile, etc)
- very impressive interview day (speakers had their stuff together, students seemed engaged and legitimately happy & friendly)
- beautiful campus, light-filled building
- nearby housing that's NOT dorm style
- laptop & iPad included in tuition (I'd likely buy both new for restarting school so saves a little hassle/$$$)

cons:
- FAR: I'm currently in Philly and picture myself more than likely practicing in the northeast eventually. My family is also all in Pennsylvania.
- new school - seems like COMLEX performance was ok but unknown residency placement record
- class schedule is lecture based, 80% attendance mandatory, schedule seems to change week to week (versus a steady weekly schedule)
- Dothan is a city but there doesn't seem to be that much to do. Current students listed few things to do around town that didn't involve driving 90+ minutes to the panhandle.

Touro-Middletown:
pros:
- flipped curriculum. I'm not sure how I feel about having to sit through hours and hours of mandatory video watching but I REALLY liked the application and discussion demo that we did as part of interview day. I know that I get more out of that time of class time versus sitting through traditional lecture where I zone out.
- in the northeast. Nearer to Philly and family. Could move via car/U-haul versus plane, and easily check out housing some weekend ahead of time.
- no Match results yet, but presuming they're similar to Harlem's (given the identical curriculum) that's pretty impressive.

cons:
- depressing building. the library is in the basement! I did that in undergrad and would prefer to not reenact.
- Middletown as a town is small and rural. Goshen is cute but also not remotely close to 'city'. I'm not particularly outdoorsy so while it's certainly beautiful, I wouldn't be one to really appreciate all the hiking/biking/climbing strengths of the region.
- disorganized interview day. Financial aide director seemed totally out to lunch during her (quite minimal) presentation. Makes me nervous that the disorganized theme would carry on throughout.

Thoughts, anyone? Perhaps especially some current students at ACOM or Middletown?

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed at both and was accepted at both, and decided not to attend either, because I have recieved acceptance at Bradenton and CUSOM which are higher up in my list. If I had to make a decision between ACOM and touro, i would chose ACOM. I am from New York myself, and wanted to get out, and practice medicine down south, so ACOM seemed like the perfect choice. I was very impressed with their facilities, their staff, and the speakers, they really seemed to have everything together! I also sensed a greater sense of community, but I felt it was very far and had better options (but it was higher up on the list compared to Touro). I found touro to be very depressing, desolate, and unorganized, i wasnt impressed, and I knew I was not going to attend half-way through the interview. The snow, the cold, and depression would just get at me. With that being said, if you plan on practiciing in the North then Touro is probably the better option, since they will have rotations near the city. If you plan on doing the South, then chose ACOM. But in my opinion, ACOM was better
what did you like about CUSOM?

what did you like about CUSOM?

I liked their facilities (state of the art sim center, brand new facilities), their curriculum (block system, getting a week off every 9 weeks), interantional outreach mission, excellent and supportive staff, I like the NC state, aunt is very close, close to Raleigh

What I didnt like: mandatory attendance (i dont like going to lecture), very rural area, new school, and 44k vs 33k at lecom b.

If I had to compare CUSOM vs ACOM, I would say I liked ACOM better, but they are very similar, but ACOM i found much better. Only reason CUSOM was higher on my list was because my aunt lives 30 minutes away from CUSOM, but ACOM was in fact the better school IMO. But overall: location and cost and curriculum LECOM B won, and thats where Ill be next year ;)

I didn't interview at TUCOM-M, but I did interview at ACOM. In my opinion ACOM is a school that totally has its act together, and its graduates will definitely go on to do big things. And those rotations! Amazing. Very few cons, with a cold faculty and a blah town being a couple.

I didn't interview at TUCOM-M, but I did interview at ACOM. In my opinion ACOM is a school that totally has its act together, and its graduates will definitely go on to do big things. And those rotations! Amazing. Very few cons, with a cold faculty and a blah town being a couple.
i agree with the "blah town" but the OMM teacher seems amazing at least (forgot what his name was)

i agree with the "blah town" but the OMM teacher seems amazing at least (forgot what his name was)

I actually liked the town more than CUSOM and Touro-M more lol, it was friendly, and it wasnt so rural like CUSOM, but DR. Hayes was so passionate and he was so amazing

I will concede that the OMM professor was DOPE! But the rest of admin and faculty really rubbed me the wrong way. It was probably either just me or an off day though, so don't worry about it.

I actually liked the town more than CUSOM and Touro-M more lol, it was friendly, and it wasnt so rural like CUSOM, but DR. Hayes was so passionate and he was so amazing
I don't look forward to the kind of humidity. I'm beach boy from socal