Active Duty rotations while a student/Army National Guard Officer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiger26

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, seldom poster here, but I just wanted to thank all who contribute here. I did ROTC during college and I surely would have taken the HPSP scholarship had I not read the insightful and poignant posts about active duty military medicine. As it stands, I commissioned into the guard instead while in med school and am using their financial benefits instead.

I have two questions for all who have gone before me. Despite the postings, I'm still curious about active duty medicine, particularly operational medicine (former 11B) and I was wondering how feasible it would be to do do a rotation during 4th year at Walter Reed or Bragg to find out for sure. I know HPSP students do these, but I wasn't sure about those few who are in the guard.

Second Question: Since I will have fulfilled my ROTC obligation while in the guard during med school/residency (non-deployable), I will essentially be a free agent thereafter when I can decide whether to remain in the guard or go active. Conventional wisdom says go for the big money after residency with a private gig, but this is something I really want to explore so I don't have any regrets later on about missing my chance. As a free agent (almost like in football or something), how much leverage will I have in getting my location (want to live in Germany) or any of the HOOAH type schools available. I know enlisted can guarantee these in their contracts, but I wasn't sure about officers.

For any of those on board, I'd really appreciate your thoughts/advice/suggestions. Based on this forum, I think I've structured my position in such a way so that I am largely in charge rather than letting the Army buy me with an HPSP scholarship. I've tried to think out the angles so that I can keep my interest alive without jumping in without a life preserver. Thanks again all!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically you would be a civilian trying to do a month at a military hospital. To do this, you would have to have a MOU between your medical school and the military hospital. Given the red tape involved I don't think it could be done.

What medical school do you go to? There are some medical schools that are in the same city as a military hospital and already have an MOU.