Activities Section Planning Advice- Paid Medical/Clinical? Student counselor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetimehascome21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Quick question. As I am planning out what activities I plan to have in the activities section of my application, would a "Peer Health Educator" position on campus count for paid medical/clinical experience, or more for extracurricular activities.

Brief description: Student club, but paid. We undergo summer training through NASPA to become Peer Health Educators which grants us the ability to do student counseling on campus. Typically we have open hours during the week for students to talk to us instead of the counselors and therapists on campus. Mental health-related issues most of the time.

I have no particular preference for either as I have other paid medical/clinical experiences and extracurriculars, just not sure.

Thanks for any info provided.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Quick question. As I am planning out what activities I plan to have in the activities section of my application, would a "Peer Health Educator" position on campus count for paid medical/clinical experience, or more for extracurricular activities.

Brief description: Student club, but paid. We undergo summer training through NASPA to become Peer Health Educators which grants us the ability to do student counseling on campus. Typically we have open hours during the week for students to talk to us instead of the counselors and therapists on campus. Mental health-related issues most of the time.

I have no particular preference for either as I have other paid medical/clinical experiences and extracurriculars, just not sure.

Thanks for any info provided.
It depends on the details which you don't provide. For most "Peer Health Educator" descriptions I've seen, Employment-Not Medical/Clinical would be most suitable. In an Activities entry, you'd want to describe what you do, what percent of the students are current patients with an established diagnosis, how often the students are referred to you by clinicians vs self-referred, what your record keeping responsibility is, & how you interface with physicians. Let the screener decide if they want to consider it as edging toward "Clinical."

Reactions: 2 users