Activities, Tutoring and professor relationship question!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neonghost

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I am wondering if I should mention that my year long extensive tutoring is work study or just list it as tutoring and be done with it. I was told anything paid is not as significant, but I worked not for "fun" but to pay for my own rent and food, so I needed the money!

Second question, I was given this idea by my professor, but is there anywhere and is it recommended that I use a spot on my activities list to list a very close relationship/mentorship I developed with a professor from my freshman year? And how would I even do that? Most of my activities are in bullet point format so I'm not sure how that would work...

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

1. If it was paid, say so. Adcoms will understand and respect that you needed to earn money.

2. Ask him for a rec letter

Okay I will mention that it was work study, since it was.
And I did! She is writing me a pretty good letter. I guess it does sound silly to put it into "hobbies" or something...
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hobby: Grew very close to my mentor during my Freshman year of college...

I think the letter of recommendation would be just fine, unless there was some academic reason behind why you built such a close relationship. Even then, the focus shouldn't be on how you built a close relationship with your mentor, but rather what you did and learned through the experience.

Tutoring (even paid) is a great thing. It shows you have teaching experience, and I'm sure you have had great experiences from tutoring. Some of my best experiences came from when I tutored high school students.

Aw man, I thought this post was gonna be wayyy different. (i.e. Is it okay to have the professor I've been sleeping with write me a LOR??)

Anyway, it would be weird to put as an activity. The LOR will demonstrate how well the prof knows you.

Reactions: 1 users
[QUOTE=" (i.e. Is it okay to have the professor I've been sleeping with write me a LOR??)[/QUOTE]

I had my hopes up for this thread too. SDN soap opera potential missed.

Reactions: 1 user
GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

we are future doctors.
I ain't posting that here.
But I can if we need some trolling entertainment....

GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

we are future doctors.
I ain't posting that here.
But I can if we need some trolling entertainment....

Our point was that as a future professional, you should not be advertising "having a very close relationship" with an authority figure. It endangers both that person's and your professional reputation. Just our $0.02.