Acute Interstitial nephritis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.serotonin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
what type of hypersensitivity reaction is this ? Type 1 or Type 4? we do have eosinophils in urine, dose that make it type 1? plz elaborate

Members don't see this ad.

A few different sources (goljan, papers, websites) say that the drug induced one is either a type I type IV mix or one or the other. As you mentioned there is often eosinophils, but there are also CD4+ and CD8+ lymphocytes in the tubular epithelium. None go into too much more detail than that and I suspect that it may not be known all that well and thus not particularly testable. I suspect they would test more on the common drugs that cause it (penicillins, NSAIDS, etc). The mechanism behind the version caused by acute pyelonephritis best I can tell is just inflammatory damage to the parenchyma due to the infection.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
A few different sources (goljan, papers, websites) say that the drug induced one is either a type I type IV mix or one or the other. As you mentioned there is often eosinophils, but there are also CD4+ and CD8+ lymphocytes in the tubular epithelium. None go into too much more detail than that and I suspect that it may not be known all that well and thus not particularly testable. I suspect they would test more on the common drugs that cause it (penicillins, NSAIDS, etc). The mechanism behind the version caused by acute pyelonephritis best I can tell is just inflammatory damage to the parenchyma due to the infection.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

thank you very much for your input.

Reactions: 1 user