Ad for ER Registrar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyRockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.imt.ie/jobs/2008/10/emergency_medicine_registrars.html
Job listing in the Irish times for an ER registar in WA. They seem to pay registrars decent salaries especially for 38 hour work week. Still the catch is that you need to have a year of internship plus another year of experience as an RMO to even be considered for most training programs.
Here is a list of pay grades for different types of doctors in the public system:
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/medical/md_rem_packages.asp

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's just the base salary. You'll note that the clause that says plus penalties, for night, evening and weekend shifts. What they'll do is for any of your shift that is after 5, or on weekends they will pay you at 1.5 - 3.0 x your hourly rate (varies from state to state and hospital to hospital). Since ED is mainly shift work you will have a lot of your shifts falling outside those hours. It doesn't take many of those hours to drastically increase your salary, because they are paid at double or triple your hourly rate. So I'd suspect you'd end up coming away with 180 - 200k when everything is factored in.

As for needing an RMO year, technically you do. However there was a person in my class who was extremely keen in becoming an ED/EM (it's not ER, we're not in America) Physician who got into a registrar position next year (he's currently an Intern). They can by pass the rule by either showing exceptional interest and letting you in that way, or if your hospital is really set on making you do an extra year as an RMO, they can technically call you an RMO but put you on the registrar roster, and count that year towards your training.

As I've always maintained, in Oz virtually nothing is set in stone. If you make connections/references early there are a lot of ways to get ahead, and many more opportunties to find an exception to rules then in North America.

Last edited: