Army AD station overseas- will mil physicians let me shadow them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

68xAD

Reaction score
Captains/Majors,

I want to shadow doctors before I apply for EMDP2(or post-bac), but I am currently station overseas.
The only option is to shadow doctors on the post, but I am not sure if they will let me do that.
I was wondering if any of you have let enlisted shadow you.

Also, there is not much community service available around the post. Will working at an adoption agency count as community service?
Do you have any suggestions for community service?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Captains/Majors,

I want to shadow doctors before I apply for EMDP2(or post-bac), but I am currently station overseas.
The only option is to shadow doctors on the post, but I am not sure if they will let me do that.
I was wondering if any of you have let enlisted shadow you.

Also, there is not much community service available around the post. Will working at an adoption agency count as a community service?
Do you have any suggestions for community service?

I'm still in med school, but when I was applying to EMDP2, the squadron doc let me shadow her no problem. Just reach out and ask. Also, any non-clinical volunteering counts.

I'm still in med school, but when I was applying to EMDP2, the squadron doc let me shadow her no problem. Just reach out and ask. Also, any non-clinical volunteering counts.
I should ask doctors in person. Thank you.
Is that true that you have to be at least E-5 with a high GPA to be selected?
My GPA is 3.38 and SAT is 1530/1600

Members don't see this ad :)
I should ask doctors in person. Thank you.
Is that true that you have to be at least E-5 with a high GPA to be selected?
My GPA is 3.38 and SAT is 1530/1600

Your stats are fine. I had a 3.4 and a similar SAT. I don't know all the specific branch requirements, but at least for the Navy I don't think there are any rate requirements (and I believe we have had a couple E-4s).

There may be AD docs who can still let you shadow but you are probably best off talking to docs in operational billets away from the hospitals. COVID restrictions make shadowing pretty difficult for the most part.

There may be AD docs who can still let you shadow but you are probably best off talking to docs in operational billets away from the hospitals. COVID restrictions make shadowing pretty difficult for the most part.
You can definitely do it but as @Gastrapathy said, lots of restrictions on who is coming in and out of facilities right now.

Most docs are very open to helping out potential med students. Just ask someone local and they will get you set up or tell you its impossible right now.
Thank you so much!!

You can definitely do it but as @Gastrapathy said, lots of restrictions on who is coming in and out of facilities right now.

Most docs are very open to helping out potential med students. Just ask someone local and they will get you set up or tell you its impossible right now.
Do you guys still think it is better to stay away from the mil.med? EMDP2 will add additional 2 years from HPSP-4year or USUHS-6yrs.
I am 29 and highly interested in OB, FM, and PMR

I’m guessing you have a bit over 10 years active duty already? You know how the military works. If you still enjoy the military despite its nuances then you know better than anyone else if you will be happy staying in with a new career in medicine. Just make sure you spend time with someone in Milmed to see exactly what it is like.

Also consider HSCP if you decide to stay in.

Do you guys still think it is better to stay away from the mil.med? EMDP2 will add additional 2 years from HPSP-4year or USUHS-6yrs.
I am 29 and highly interested in OB, FM, and PMR
Just FYI, the commitment to USUHS is still 7 years, as it was when I started in 1986: Uniformed Services University

Be sure to pay attention to the IRR requirements if you do fewer than 10 years on AD after graduation. Many, many docs lost their civilian practices and hair when they were recalled from the IRR for Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Liberation (OIL) due to Sheer Poor Planning (R) on the part of the military and a trivial percent retention rate among physicians at ETS. Read the fine print.

And don't forget that you can be recalled involuntarily back to active duty for the remainder of your natural life if you retire as an officer: All Branch Topic (ABT) - More specific reasons why I left SDN in 2006

I am not the Anti-Recruiter Poster Boy for the U.S. military. However, as someone who dedicated his life from age 17 until 41 to pursuing a career in military medicine and then succeeding for 15 years, only to be devastated when that career went up in flames due to the massive changes in Air Force medicine that pulled the rug out from under me, I feel it to be a matter of honor that future aspiring military physicians go into their careers with more information about the "real world" you will face after HPSP/USU/civilian practice than I did.

I am in the process of updating my original "35 Reasons Not To Join or Stay in Military Medicine" for 2020 and beyond.

I also wrote this one regarding The Hidden Catches of HPSP/USUHS. I know many people had a hard time with number 11 if they are from that religious tradition, but it was and still is true.

There is also NavDoc47's classic "40 (and counting) Reasons not to Join". People flamed him for his #1 reason, but it's a real phenomenon for people to consider, especially when you are in your youth (all you younguns less than 55 are youth to me).

There is a long thread here with more recent perspectives (considering I left in 2005).

You may also be interested in this thread, which links to both pros and cons of milmed (thanks, @Homunculus. You said my name three times in your mind not long ago. Oops.)

As always, when you talk to a medical recruiter, read a forum or social media post, etc., remember the Latin phrase "Cui Bono"--> who benefits from telling you information pro/con/otherwise, and what axe to they have to grind? I've been upfront about my PTSD from the loss of my military career, and my strong desire to make insider information about the sorry state of military medicine (not to be confused with "health care") known to the masses before the masses sign their lives away. Your mileage may vary.

Best of luck,

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just find a tent with a red cross on it and ask if you can hang out. I guess they still have tents.