Add Recommendations late in cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anfleisch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to add a recommendation for this fall this late in the cycle? I have already gone on many interviews, but not heard decisions yet, and still am awaiting review from several schools. How would you go about doing this and notifying schools so they realize it has been added? Would I do this through AMCAS or directly with schools? Can AMCAS even be updated this late?

I just was in a 400 level advanced genetics class where I did very well and it was an important class due to my background in science which I discussed in interviews. The professor will most likely write me a really good recommendation since I had the highest marks in the class and had good interactions with him.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to add a recommendation for this fall this late in the cycle? I have already gone on many interviews, but not heard decisions yet, and still am awaiting review from several schools. How would you go about doing this and notifying schools so they realize it has been added? Would I do this through AMCAS or directly with schools? Can AMCAS even be updated this late?

I just was in a 400 level advanced genetics class where I did very well and it was an important class due to my background in science which I discussed in interviews. The professor will most likely write me a really good recommendation since I had the highest marks in the class and had good interactions with him.

Yeah I recently updated schools with new info and added that I would be sending in an another LOR through the AMCAS letter service. I don't know if it will help, or if schools will look at it, but figured, it couldn't hurt. Well, I guess it could hurt an otherwise good app post-interview if it's a poor letter, but I know mine wasn't.

It's not a bad idea as long as the school doesn't specifically tell you not to send anything else. My best advice if you've become comfortable with your professor is to ask him to send his letter directly to (at least) the schools that matter most to you. The ideal scenario is one in which he says he got to know you as a student and he really wants to see you succeed, without you even asking.

One of my professors said she did this for a student who was wait-listed at 6 schools and lamented to her that he wished he was instead rejected by 5 and admitted by just one. She personally emailed the ADCOMs at all six and two accepted him within a few days, and thanked her for helping them make the decision between a few applicants.

Once you've gotten to the interview stage, the AMCAS is irrelevant. You need a more personal nudge in your favor.

It's not a bad idea as long as the school doesn't specifically tell you not to send anything else. My best advice if you've become comfortable with your professor is to ask him to send his letter directly to (at least) the schools that matter most to you. The ideal scenario is one in which he says he got to know you as a student and he really wants to see you succeed, without you even asking.

One of my professors said she did this for a student who was wait-listed at 6 schools and lamented to her that he wished he was instead rejected by 5 and admitted by just one. She personally emailed the ADCOMs at all six and two accepted him within a few days, and thanked her for helping them make the decision between a few applicants.

Once you've gotten to the interview stage, the AMCAS is irrelevant. You need a more personal nudge in your favor.

That is very interesting. Who exactly did the professor email? The interviewer, the dean of admissions, etc?