Additional Essay Prompt?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazypsychstudent

Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.) Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For one of the programs I am applying to, they have an optional, additional essay. Here is the prompt:

Please use this section to provide any additional or special information that you feel may be important when considering your application for admission.

Two questions:
1) Would it look bad if I didn't complete it?
2) How much am I allowed to discuss? Obviously no personal hardships, but what about being a first generation student, lack of finances for school, how my gre scores do not reflect my abilities, etc. Would that be okay? Also, would it be okay or would it come off as arrogant to explain how, since I knew I wanted to be a clinical psychologist since my junior year of high school, I took a bunch of AP classes and ended up graduating with my BA two years early. I feel like that would prove how dedicated I am to becoming a clinical psychologist, but it feels weird to talk about my accomplishments like that to a program...

Members don't see this ad.

1. No. If you have nothing extra to mention then don't.

2. How much of what you mentioned has already been included in your personal statement/essay?

1. No. If you have nothing extra to mention then don't.

2. How much of what you mentioned has already been included in your personal statement/essay?
I didn't mention anything about my GRE scores and I slightly mentioned graduating early, but I expanded on it in the additional essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the additional essay, I talked about how my math scores on standardized tests are always low due to being homeschooled up until sixth grade and literally being taught no math whatsoever... I feel like that was important for them to know

In the additional essay, I talked about how my math scores on standardized tests are always low due to being homeschooled up until sixth grade and literally being taught no math whatsoever... I feel like that was important for them to know

Why? All you have done is confess that you were bad a mathematics and, presumably, have not made efforts to catch up...

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that it's probably fine to omit the essay if you don't have a specific circumstance to disclose, or a good reason to share additional information. All pertinent information about your academic and research endeavors should be addressed the required essays. With this optional essay, it sounds like they want to give people a space to share anything that may have impacted those endeavors.

Even if there is a cirumstance that impacted you in a way that might explain any weaknesses or inconsistencies in your application, I would be careful about what (if anything) you choose to include in the optional essay. On one end of the spectrum, I have a colleague whose overall GPA and undergraduate record were strong, but there was a notable dip in his grades one semester. When possible, he used the "extra" essay to explain that the dip in grades coincided with his parent's sudden illness and subsequent death; he wanted it to be clear that that particular semester was a time-limited aberration.

On the other hand, I once reviewed an application (later in training, but the same principle applies) from someone who used that type of essay in an attempt to "explain" a DUI conviction, but it came across as an argument for why that applicant wasn't really to blame for their behavior; the DUI itself might not have raised a red flag, but the unwillingness to take responsibility certainly did. And finally, I'd be wary of disclosing any ongoing circumstances that might cause reviewers to question whether you're ready and able to succeed in grad school. For example, if you have current responsibilities (family, caregiving, etc.) or difficulties (medical or mental illness) that interfere with your ability to get work done, it's understandable that you might not have as many publications or projects under your belt compared to other applicants. However, if you choose to mention those in this extra essay, you open yourself up to concerns about your ability to perform in grad school while under those same contraints, and questions about what (if anything) you've done to manage those responsibilities or difficulties.

Reactions: 1 users
I took these to mean "Explain away the shortcomings of your application" and only used them to justify various poor grades I got in undergrad.

No
Why? All you have done is confess that you were bad a mathematics and, presumably, have not made efforts to catch up...
no i talked about how I HAVE caught up by teaching myself basic math skills and working up from there. I talked about how I taught myself for the ACT and the GRE and while I didn't receove great scores, I have received As in my statistics classes and have been competent with research analysis

1. You don't have to do it if it's optional.

2. Like another poster said very well, be careful of over explaining. Fine line between saying what needs to be said and making excuses. Not that you are doing that, but it becomes very easy to look that way.

My addition is that graduating 2 years early is not a big deal in some states anymore. For example, if you apply to schools in Florida, they will not be impressed by this because they make it easy to either grad early, or graduate Highschool with an associates degree. Many of the students applying to PHD programs were younger than 22. The smartest students used those 2 years to publish and do TWO honors thesis instead of just one. Not diminishing your accomplishments, it's just that graduating early is a double edged sword.

well I did the optional essay on my math abilities and got in! and I love the program so far!

Reactions: 1 user