adenoma histo mcq?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absolutjag9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Biopsy of a small, rounded rectal polyp demonstrates glands and sawtooth crypts composed of a proliferation of goblet and columnar epithelial cells. No atypia is seen. This polyp is best classified as which of the following?
A. Hyperplastic polyp
B. Peutz-Jeghers polyp
C. Tubular adenoma
D. Tubulovillous adenoma
E. Villous adenoma

D?

A 41-year-old man with diarrhea, weight loss, and epigastric discomfort undergoes endoscopic examination, revealing diffusely thickened rugal folds, suggestive of the linitis plastica-type adenocarcinoma. Biopsy reveals no cancer, but a dramatic hyperplasia of superficial mucous cells with scant gastric glands. As a consequence of this condition, this man may be losing excessive amounts of which of the following from his digestive tract?
A. Carbohydrates
B. Chloride
C. Fat
D. Protein
E. Water

i thought chloride.

Members don't see this ad.

Biopsy of a small, rounded rectal polyp demonstrates glands and sawtooth crypts composed of a proliferation of goblet and columnar epithelial cells. No atypia is seen. This polyp is best classified as which of the following?
A. Hyperplastic polyp
B. Peutz-Jeghers polyp
C. Tubular adenoma
D. Tubulovillous adenoma
E. Villous adenoma

D?

A 41-year-old man with diarrhea, weight loss, and epigastric discomfort undergoes endoscopic examination, revealing diffusely thickened rugal folds, suggestive of the linitis plastica-type adenocarcinoma. Biopsy reveals no cancer, but a dramatic hyperplasia of superficial mucous cells with scant gastric glands. As a consequence of this condition, this man may be losing excessive amounts of which of the following from his digestive tract?
A. Carbohydrates
B. Chloride
C. Fat
D. Protein
E. Water

i thought chloride.

The second one is D. protein...Just know it...Other parts of you gastric tract provide digesting enzymes to at least partly get carbs and fats digested, but your stomach becomes essential to digesting proteins down (and you need adequate acid to activate some of these enzymes). The vignette described is that of menetrier's disease which is sometimes confused with a diffuse gastric carcinoma (linitis plastica).

The first question, really too long ago for me to remember or care. I think the histo described is more or less normal colonic epithelium that is simply over-proliferated...And the small round description means it isn't quite tubular in shape and it isn't larger like the villous adenomas...At least that is my guess.

Last edited: