ADH vs Aldosteron

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

can someone VERY BRIEFLY explain? i just need a few key phrases that signify what they do exactly.

Members don't see this ad.

both will increase reabsorption of water in kidneys collecting ducts.

aldosterone--> increase active reabsorption of Na+. Just remember, where Na+ goes, water will follow. So water will passively be reabsorbed also.

ADH--> Increases water permeability in collecting ducts.

Both hormones will increase blood volume and blood pressure. Hope thats short and simple enough.

Reactions: 5 users
Ok,

ADH is synthesized by the hypothalamus and is sent to the posterior pituitary, which stores and releases it. ADH allows the collecting ducts of the nephron to be more permeasble to water, thereby allowing the body to take up water. It does this by inserting aquaporins (which are the proteins that the water flow through..i think they are channels). This taking up of water increases blood volume. So, when your blood has a high osmolarity (salty, let's say), osmoreceptors in your hypothalamus sense this and ADH is secreted. ADH is also secreted when the baroreceptors in the circulatory system (i think it's the coratid artery or sumthin) sense low blood volume.

Aldosterone is a mineralcorticoid that is synthesized by the adrenal cortex. It causes the active transport of Na+ from the nephron into the body. When sodium is transported across the nephron, so is water. So, aldosterone acts to regulate sodium levels inside the body and extracellular water also. As a result of an increase in water, blood volume increases leading to high blood pressure.

Take what you want from that. I think that's everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone VERY BRIEFLY explain? i just need a few key phrases that signify what they do exactly.

ADH(vasopressin)
A peptide hormone
Made in hypothalamus
Stored in posterior pituitary and released into blood stream or brain directly.
Causes moderate vasoconstriction and raises blood pressure
Causes water reabsorption of water in distal convoluted tubules and collecting duct of the kidney, and producing concentrated urine
Released when body is dehydrated

Aldosterone
A steroid hormone
Part of the renin-angiotensin system
Produced by adernal cortex
Causes water and sodium reabsorption of water in distal convoluted tubules and collecting duct of the kidney.
Causes conservation of sodium, secretion of potassium, increased water retention, and increased blood pressure.
Released when blood pressure is low

1. How are they related? Aldosterone may act on the central nervous system via the posterior pituitary gland to release vasopressin (ADH) which in turn causes water conservation.
I hope this helps. I tried to be brief!

Last edited:
Aldosterone is actually a mineralcorticoid made and secreted from the adrenal cortex.

Please refere to my second post. I typed my answer in word and when I copied it here it was pasted out of order. Sorry for the confusion.

ADH(vasopressin)
A peptide hormone
Made in hypothalamus
Stored in posterior pituitary and released into blood stream or brain directly.
Causes moderate vasoconstriction and raises blood pressure
Causes water reabsorption of water in distal convoluted tubules and collecting duct of the kidney, and producing concentrated urine
Released when body is dehydrated

Aldosterone
A steroid hormone
Part of the renin-angiotensin system
Produced by adernal cortex
Causes water and sodium reabsorption of water in distal convoluted tubules and collecting duct of the kidney.
Causes conservation of sodium, secretion of potassium, increased water retention, and increased blood pressure.
Released when blood pressure is low

1. How are they related? Aldosterone may act on the central nervous system via the posterior pituitary gland to release vasopressin (ADH) which in turn causes water conservation.
I hope this helps. I tried to be brief!

Greay summary..
So let me confirm this...

Both ADH and aldosterone will result in concentrated urine? (due to water diffuses out of the collecting duct..?)

someone can confirm this???

Most important thing about ADH (and the way I remembered it) is that good-ole CH3-CH2-OH alcohol inhibits the release of ADH from the hypothalamus, thus not retaining water - hence why alcohol dehydrates you and you pee so much clear urine while drinking. ta-da

Imagine Kidney and follow the flow :)
Also know the relationship between Na+ and K+.
When K+ goes out, Na+ comes in and water follows it but water uses different enzyme.

If you got extra time, it's good to know that angiotensin II is what triggers the release of the enzyme.

If you got more time, search for renin-angiotensin system.

Last edited: