ADHD / ADD & Class 2 Scripts reported State Medical Board?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thomasfx10

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are many post on ADHD / ADD however, I have yet to see this question address.

I read on one of the forums, that if you have/are taking a Class 2 prescription (Ritalin) that it needs to be reported to the state medical board. My question is ... does that hurt you in anyway from getting your license?

I have ADD, and I have yet to be prescribed a Class 2. However, if the doctor suggest it, I want to make sure that it will not hurt my chances getting a medical license.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I obviously haven't actually gone through any licensing, but I have discussed this with my psychiatrist and he told me that it is illegal for any state licensing organization to deny a physician a medical license because they take a schedule II drug that is prescribed to them. You are being treated for a medical condition and it violates discrimination laws. Really the only time an issue arises is in histories of substance abuse that lead to legal action against the individual.

He couldn't give me much more information than that, but he told me not to worry about it.

Different states ask the questions differently. I don't recall them asking about 'schedule 2' on either of the licensing forms I've filled out. But it's entirely possible you have to disclose it. However, they did ask for disclosure of psych illnesses and treating psychiatrists within the last ___ years, proof of ability to practice medicine if you have a psych diagnosis, any medical problems that may interfere (i.e. you don't have to disclose HTN but you may have to disclose, say, a seizure disorder) with medical practice and they asked about chronic pain/narcotic pain prescriptions specifically. It's a matter of how they ask the question as to what you need to tell them---lying will cause big problems, so just disclose anything relevant and it should be fine.

I wouldn't worry about ritalin too much. If you are prescribed a medication for legitimate reasons, it should not affect your ability to obtain and maintain a license. They are worried about signs of substance abuse and impairment, and are not on a witchhunt for doctors with ADHD.

That is good news. Thanks for your responses.