ADLEX Licensing exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NC2PA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about this? We got an email from our school saying that there may be a switch from the NERBs to the ADLEX should it pass. Apparently it would license us for most of the US including CA but not FL.

I couldn't find anything about it on google. This is all i could really find as far as licensing goes.

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/licensure_clinical_exams.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

The word I hear from some very good sources with some very prominant ADA ties, is that it's basically a done deal now. The major regional boards (NERB, SERB, WERB) are ammenable to the ADA's national exam concept (read as the ADA will buy them out for some big $$). Why this is suddenly going to happen is basically the regional boards worrying that what happend in New York (the PGY1 clause) and is gainign momentum in many states could essentially put the regional boards out of business(or atleast force the board examiners to stay in Holiday Inns as opposed to The Four Seasons due to greatly diminshed funds).

This would give the ADA a standardization over licensure requirements over the vast majority of the country, plus they'd make a few bucks off the deal too.

Members don't see this ad :)
comatose said:
why isn't fl. included in this?

It's a numbers game, they're worried that as the HUGE number of baby boomer age dentists reach retirement age over the next 15 or so years (roughly 60% of the currently licensed dentists in the U.S.) that many, many of them will come to Florida and open up a practice, thus super saturating the market. This is whay california has some issues with this too since currently basically 1 out of every 7 licensed dentists in the U.S. practices in California :eek:

DrJeff said:
It's a numbers game, they're worried that as the HUGE number of baby boomer age dentists reach retirement age over the next 15 or so years (roughly 60% of the currently licensed dentists in the U.S.) that many, many of them will come to Florida and open up a practice, thus super saturating the market. This is whay california has some issues with this too since currently basically 1 out of every 7 licensed dentists in the U.S. practices in California :eek:

i think that's dumb. some of us have families in fl. we want to be near. i mean it is a decent strategy to keep old folks from moving though, but i hardly think it's going to stop young people like me from going where they want to live.

any ideas on how soon this could go into effect?

comatose said:
i think that's dumb. some of us have families in fl. we want to be near. i mean it is a decent strategy to keep old folks from moving though, but i hardly think it's going to stop young people like me from going where they want to live.

The traditional word on the street is that if your "home" address on your Florida License is a Florida address, then you're chances of passing the Florida licensing exam have just dramatically gone up

NC2PA said:
any ideas on how soon this could go into effect?

The most common target start date I've heard is the Spring of 2006, so real soon. A more realistic date though is likely to be for the graduating classes of 2007

DrJeff said:
The word I hear from some very good sources with some very prominant ADA ties, is that it's basically a done deal now. The major regional boards (NERB, SERB, WERB) are ammenable to the ADA's national exam concept (read as the ADA will buy them out for some big $$). Why this is suddenly going to happen is basically the regional boards worrying that what happend in New York (the PGY1 clause) and is gainign momentum in many states could essentially put the regional boards out of business(or atleast force the board examiners to stay in Holiday Inns as opposed to The Four Seasons due to greatly diminshed funds).

This would give the ADA a standardization over licensure requirements over the vast majority of the country, plus they'd make a few bucks off the deal too.

So tell me, the om mentioned ADLEX (meaning ADEX?), which I understood was the exam the AADE created (patient-based). This is different from the ADA exam (which supposedly was portfolios and didn't involve patients on the exam), no? Cause as of a month ago, the NC Board was not going to allow the ADA exam for anything. In fact, they were pushing to have the AADE exam in place here by spring. Also, a NERB examiner I know said the NERB would be VERY slow (he felt) to accept a non-patient exam.

So, is the ADA using patients now (or all along), or was enough $$ involved to change the mindset of NC, the NERB etc in the last 4 weeks? Anywhere online I can find out exactly what the ADA is doing (other than sitting in their clandestine board meetings)?

jpollei said:
So tell me, the om mentioned ADLEX (meaning ADEX?), which I understood was the exam the AADE created (patient-based). This is different from the ADA exam (which supposedly was portfolios and didn't involve patients on the exam), no? Cause as of a month ago, the NC Board was not going to allow the ADA exam for anything. In fact, they were pushing to have the AADE exam in place here by spring. Also, a NERB examiner I know said the NERB would be VERY slow (he felt) to accept a non-patient exam.

So, is the ADA using patients now (or all along), or was enough $$ involved to change the mindset of NC, the NERB etc in the last 4 weeks? Anywhere online I can find out exactly what the ADA is doing (other than sitting in their clandestine board meetings)?

The proposed exam will only use live patients for the perio portion, the class II and III restorative, the 3 unit bridge and temporary and the endo will all be mannequin based.

My understanding as to why all the regional boards and isolated individual states such as NC, have suddenly gotten behind the ADEX concept has to do with the long term realization of a serious potential dentist shortage and the accompanying access to care issue that a shortage can create. It's basically the situation of the states wanting to make it as easy as possible to attract as many dentists as they can in the future, and if you have access to 48 or so of those states off of one, homogeneous nationwide exam, the states know what they're getting and hopefully will get more.

The source that I have is directly from one of those folks who sits in the board meetings in Chicago, so I put a great degree of confidence about what I hear from them both over the phone and over lunch.

DrJeff said:
The proposed exam will only use live patients for the perio portion, the class II and III restorative, the 3 unit bridge and temporary and the endo will all be mannequin based.

My understanding as to why all the regional boards and isolated individual states such as NC, have suddenly gotten behind the ADEX concept has to do with the long term realization of a serious potential dentist shortage and the accompanying access to care issue that a shortage can create. It's basically the situation of the states wanting to make it as easy as possible to attract as many dentists as they can in the future, and if you have access to 48 or so of those states off of one, homogeneous nationwide exam, the states know what they're getting and hopefully will get more.

The source that I have is directly from one of those folks who sits in the board meetings in Chicago, so I put a great degree of confidence about what I hear from them both over the phone and over lunch.

Just fyi, news today - not second or third hand - that AADE/ADEX have tentative approval for their exam from 42 states... wonder how that'll affect the ADA's proposal (as ADEX and the ADA are proposing different exam concepts). The ADEX does include live pts on Class II and III...though it's integrated into the clinical experience, too.

Thanks for the info,Dr Jeff.
Correct me if I'm wrong ,but I feel that, the schools or the ADA should be informing the students before they enrol for a program rather than when they are in the middle of the program about such additions in the curriculum.I'm sure many of the students might have time and finance related limitations and this change can come as an unpleasant surprise b'coz not only are you held back timewise for one year but also although you are being paid a stipend(I assume so!!) its going to be very little in comparison to a salary you would earn at a private practice and that matters a lot in those initial post-grad days when your goal is to pay off those humungous student loans.
Please opine on the same.
Thanks
DDS_2008

DDS-2008 said:
Thanks for the info,Dr Jeff.
Correct me if I'm wrong ,but I feel that, the schools or the ADA should be informing the students before they enrol for a program rather than when they are in the middle of the program about such additions in the curriculum.I'm sure many of the students might have time and finance related limitations and this change can come as an unpleasant surprise b'coz not only are you held back timewise for one year but also although you are being paid a stipend(I assume so!!) its going to be very little in comparison to a salary you would earn at a private practice and that matters a lot in those initial post-grad days when your goal is to pay off those humungous student loans.
Please opine on the same.
Thanks
DDS_2008

I am assuming that you are a dental student enrolled in a NY state based dental school or planning to practice in NY? The mandatory PGY-1 starts from 2007 (correct me if I'm wrong) and you DO NOT have to take NERB examination if you want to practice only in NY state. You'd just complete your PGY-1 (paid, of course) and then practice without the hassles of NERB. However, you can choose to take NERB (before graduation) and practice in NJ or other adjacent states. Then you won't be held back one year. Time in 1 year of GPR or AEGD is highly valuable and you will learn a lot of advanced dentistry. So don't think of it as time and money wasted.

Remember, you can practice outside of NY state fresh out of dental school by taking the NERB exam alone. You don't have to feel like you are held back.

What Dr Jeff was talking about was there will be an amalgamation of all the regional board examinations - ie. NERB, SRTA, CRDTS, WREB etc. to form one uniform board exam. This would benefit all of you (future grads) because you will be free to move around the country without having to re-take regional boards.

With regards to your earlier comment about dental schools and ADA supposedly informing you before you enrol in the dental school about the proposed changes... I don't completely agree with you. These things have been set in motion about a decade ago, and it's finally (and slowly) coming to a completion. These changes should not affect your overall education while you are in the dental school.

You must be in your 1st year (from your ID, DDS-2008). By the time you graduate from the dental school, I can assure you that there will be more changes in all things dentistry and dental way of life before you know it. So enjoy the rest of your dental school and don't worry too much about your future lost income (due to PGY-1) just yet. Let money follow you, not the other way around!

Any one know where we can get more information on this adlex?