Administering Live Vaccines in pts with chemotherapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DustinfromCA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to check with colleagues on this situation. Would you administer Zostavax vaccine to an elderly lady currently taking hydroxyurea? She tells me her blood counts are normal and her physician and oncologist have OK'd it for her. I contacted both her provider who wrote the prescription and her oncologist who both confirmed they wanted to give the vaccine despite the risk. Do you administer the contraindicated vaccine in the pharmacy setting? What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to check with colleagues on this situation. Would you administer Zostavax vaccine to an elderly lady currently taking hydroxyurea? She tells me her blood counts are normal and her physician and oncologist have OK'd it for her. I contacted both her provider who wrote the prescription and her oncologist who both confirmed they wanted to give the vaccine despite the risk. Do you administer the contraindicated vaccine in the pharmacy setting? What are your thoughts?

I would document and give it under those circumstances.

I agree, I would give it. Being on chemotherapy is not an absolute contraindication to a live vaccine, it just means that more caution needs to be taken.

Especially with the shingles vaccine....people getting it already have the shingles virus lying dormant in them, so there is less concern than with other live vaccines.

Thanks guys, yeah I'll be administering the vaccine this coming week, just wanted to get your take on the situation, I'm glad we are on the same page.