Admissions Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

How does the admission process work post-submission?

My understanding is that they rank their candidates based on ECs, GPA, and MCAT and then interview the top 100 or so.
Of the ~100 being interviewed, are they on equal footing using the interview as the determinant of who will be accepted or not? Or do they also rank the interview and use it to move people up or down on their list?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, if we only knew.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

My understanding is that they rank their candidates based on ECs, GPA, and MCAT and then interview the top 100 or so.
Of the ~100 being interviewed, are they on equal footing using the interview as the determinant of who will be accepted or not? Or do they also rank the interview and use it to move people up or down on their list?

Most schools interview much more than 100, and the weight of the interview, ECs, etc varry from school to school...

For some, you are on a equal playing field once you are invited for an interview. For others, the interview will be part of your overall evaluation along with all other determinants.
Which would you say is more common?
And would you mind giving the names of some schools that use the latter option?

Most med school classes are 100-150 people. In order to end up at that number at matriculation, schools usually have to extend acceptances to about double that number, as many people are accepted to multiple schools. My med school interviews about 750 applicants each year. We also consider the entire application, including interviews, when making a decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Post submission = Pray for Interviews -> Go to interviews -> Pray to hear back -> Get put on waitlists -> Wait for 6-7 months -> Find out something (hopefully good news)

The Admissions dean has his criteria based upon what the Dean has decreed is most important.

They are all on equal footing. It's a common myth that this selctyion is a zero-sum game. it's not. If you get an interview, it's because the Admissions people believe you can meet the schools' criteria. However, my Faculty colleagues and I have a different view. We want to know if you can make it through our curriculum, will you be the colleagues we'd like you to be, and would you make a good doctor? the Admissions dean has no way of knowing this...the interviewers do.

And yes, how you perform in your interview will determine where you end up on the wait list, if you're not outright accepted, or rejected. Not all people are borderline.