Advancement within Navy HSCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BroseidonPremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently selected for the Navy HSCP and officially became an OC1 (E-6) in the Navy in May. I referred an incoming medical student to the Navy HPSP, and he ultimately pursued it and just received his commission a few weeks ago. I now feel like I am fighting with my recruiter (an NC1) to claim the referral to obtain advancement to E-7. She is claiming its up to the recruiting district CO whether he will accept my referral or not, and she seems rather pessimistic of my chances. I keep poking for updates and she last told me, it will be more difficult because he joined through another recruiting district (it's in a different state) and that the other recruiter hasn't provided adequate evidence that I made the referral.

I've obviously been talking to my friend throughout this entire process, and he sends me screenshots of his communication with his own recruiter (who, by the way, seems a lot more chill than my own). My friend's recruiter ensured him my referral is on his electronic record, but my recruiter is saying her command will need additional evidence... I don't even know what they would need and she hasn't told me.

Every time I reach out to my NC1 I sense tension and that she may be dragging her feet. I hate to be pestering her week after week, but I think I deserve the advancement because I fulfilled the criteria for it. I've found a copy of the Navy Officer Recruiting Manual and the Program Authorization for HSCP, and it never stipulates that the referral has to be made within the student's own recruiting district.

How can I politely continue to push for this without stepping on anyone's toes? I feel like I need to escalate this up her chain of command but I'd really prefer not create anymore tension if I don't have to.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Who is her boss? Go to her XO or senior enlisted. Career counselors are the worst and helping those who they probably deem as not worthy to attain rank. Play the game or be played.

I was recently selected for the Navy HSCP and officially became an OC1 (E-6) in the Navy in May. I referred an incoming medical student to the Navy HPSP, and he ultimately pursued it and just received his commission a few weeks ago. I now feel like I am fighting with my recruiter (an NC1) to claim the referral to obtain advancement to E-7.

You get advanced to E-7 b/c you referred someone? Sweet Jesus . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
You get advanced to E-7 b/c you referred someone? Sweet Jesus . . .

Been this way for a very long time. Even back in the day when HSCP was a lower rank you could get advanced to the next pay grade for recruiting.

Reactions: 1 user
Been this way for a very long time. Even back in the day when HSCP was a lower rank you could get advanced to the next pay grade for recruiting.

No kidding . . .sign me up.

Can I promote to CAPT if I've recruited say about a dozen medical students into HPSP/USU? (I've discouraged about 3 times as many, but never mind that).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users