Advice about loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BD2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering during what year does the normal dental school student purchase their loupes? I have seen that a few D1's that have them already and was wondering if this is something I should plan on purchasing during my first year as well or if I should wait? Also, what is the average price for a good pair? Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school, ours required that we buy them spring semester, D1. Average price for 2.5x (common starting magnification) is about $1000, with a headlamp about $1300-$1500.

You should have it by the time you have your first operative dentistry class or perio class (a.k.a when you are required to practice working on a manikin's mouth)

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school, ours required that we buy them spring semester, D1. Average price for 2.5x (common starting magnification) is about $1000, with a headlamp about $1300-$1500.

A little bit higher than on the estimated sheet *_*. Did you go for a 2.5?

Yeah, but they also allot a crazy amount for a laptop so it all evens out. We didn't have a choice for magnification, had to buy 2.5x, it's likely you will too. Had I been given a choice in the matter I would have gotten higher mag, but professors are fairly adamant about everyone being on an "equal playing field" in terms of magnification. I don't really agree with it, but you learn to choose your battles and that wasn't one worth fighting, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a vendor fair in like October of D1 year. I bought 3.5x and a light. 3.5 was the perfect starting magnification imo. If anything, I could use a pair with even higher magnification.

We had a vendor fair in like October of D1 year. I bought 3.5x and a light. 3.5 was the perfect starting magnification imo. If anything, I could use a pair with even higher magnification.

Which vendor, which model/frames? Also, do you remember roughly how much the setup costed ya?

I made my own loupe light. cost me 30 dollars including a 12 hr battery (6000mah).

Last edited:
I got the Orascoptic 3.3 extended field and I love them

reps will go to your class and hold info sessions, try them all. get through the lens (not flip ups) and u can start out with 2.5x, but eventually you will want to up it to 3.5x, loupes are about 1300 and up, light goes from 400 and up.

Which vendor, which model/frames? Also, do you remember roughly how much the setup costed ya?

I went with DFV and the Nike Frames. I have my statement back home so I can check, but it was somewhere around $1500.

We had 4 total loupes vendors (all the biggies) and the prices were all comparable with one another, so it's a matter of preference on what you like.

If you have a vendor fair like we did, I recommend bringing a coin and looking at it through all the loupes you try on. a 3.5 at one vendor may be slightly different from another vendors.

Reactions: 1 user
I went with DFV and the Nike Frames. I have my statement back home so I can check, but it was somewhere around $1500.

We had 4 total loupes vendors (all the biggies) and the prices were all comparable with one another, so it's a matter of preference on what you like.

If you have a vendor fair like we did, I recommend bringing a coin and looking at it through all the loupes you try on. a 3.5 at one vendor may be slightly different from another vendors.

Great thank you! Do they walk you through the working distance/prescription/etc. customization over at the fair or do you make an appointment to meet them later to do all of that?

Did the $1500 include a light?

Great thank you! Do they walk you through the working distance/prescription/etc. customization over at the fair or do you make an appointment to meet them later to do all of that?

Yep, placed the order and got everything measured there. If you are getting a Rx lens, make sure you bring your prescription with you. My optometrist was able to get it to me on a little business card.

That price I gave you included a light, but I don't have my quote on me right now. It may have been a bit more, but it was under 2k for sure.

Update, my quote says $1465 for 3.5x Nike Frames and a light from DFV

Reactions: 1 user