Advice about obtaining a job in a specific local

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What advice would you give me if I would like to end up in a job (either clinical academic or private practice) in a moderately specific (100 mile radius) local that is very desirable by other residents. I would like to move there after residency due to presence of aging parents in that local. I'm early in my residency training from a mid-tier residency program. My residency program is outside of that desired location.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd need to put together a list of all RadOnc practices in the desired area and then email your CV to their managing partners about a year before graduation.

You'd need to put together a list of all RadOnc practices in the desired area and then email your CV to their managing partners about a year before graduation.

Good advice. Might also be helpful to send out feelers before then about possible needs for the practice a couple years in advance. Such a communication could even lead to a locums opportunity in your last year where both parties can check each other out.

Members don't see this ad :)

agree with this. Also, try to do locums in the area. This can be tough to do as a resident, but worth a shot. I can definitely say that's how I got the job I have. I covered for a physician in the area I'm currently working, and he and his staff put out the word which ultimately led to a job offer.

agree with this. Also, try to do locums in the area. This can be tough to do as a resident, but worth a shot. I can definitely say that's how I got the job I have. I covered for a physician in the area I'm currently working, and he and his staff put out the word which ultimately led to a job offer.

I thought you needed to be board elligible to do locums. I also thought to be board elligible you needed to finish residency.

I thought you needed to be board elligible to do locums. I also thought to be board elligible you needed to finish residency.

ERRONEOUS! Rad-oncs are board eligible during PGY-5 year and can do locums work, then. But, you'd have to use vacation days, probably.

S

Is it the beginning of PGY-5 after you pass physics and radiobiology boards or just after starting PGY-5 without passing those boards? I'm still more than a year away from taking those boards but I'm just curious. Thanks for the advice.

you can do locums your last 6 months of residency. Yes, you may have to use a few vacay days or make sure to schedule your research elective/away rotations around that time. The tough part is getting people to accept a PGY-5, particularly in a competitive location...but it's not impossible.

you can do locums your last 6 months of residency. Yes, you may have to use a few vacay days or make sure to schedule your research elective/away rotations around that time. The tough part is getting people to accept a PGY-5, particularly in a competitive location...but it's not impossible.

I think the payoffs would be huge if you could swing it. Definitely gives both parties a chance to "try before you buy" If I could do the whole job hunting process all over again, I'd try to identify potential openings earlier in my training and set up locums at the most promising 1-2 places.

Problem with doing locums last 6 months, is that if things don't work out well, you haven't left yourself much time to find another job. But otherwise agree that networking with people in your area is key. And starting earlier in residency is probably better. Most groups (other than the larger ones) are only hiring new people every few years. If you make contact early perhaps the group would wait for you (rather than hiring someone in the class before you) if your interest is taken seriously. Good luck!

Agree with the recommendation to do locums. I did about 3 weeks of locums during my last 6 months of residency (in different areas of the country) then did a 4 week locums gig near the Outer Banks between residency and starting my job. It was a very worthwhile and eye-opening experience. I learned things about different types of practices and made very solid connections. I think any of the locums opportunities where I worked could have easily transformed into full-time positions. Many of the clinics where I worked still maintain contact with me and I had to turn down one pretty sick offer in favor of my current job. But money ain't everything.. Anyway, I think getting setup with locums is a great way to make contacts in a region you would like to work. I also would encourage anyone to do what I did and and give yourself a buffer of 2-3 months after residency (if you can) to do locums. I ended up having essentially an all-expense paid vacation for a month to the Outer Banks with my family with a pimp beach house. :smuggrin:

Also agree with making contacts in the city/region where you want to work as early as possible. I was lucky to land the exact job that I wanted..but I kept in touch with the Chair literally every 6 months of my residency. I may have actually bordered on annoying at times..hopefully not, but I did send him updates to my CV, announcements of posters or oral presentations I would be doing at conferences, etc. I was told time after time that they weren't expecting to have an opening, so I did not fully expect to get my job. But when an opening unexpectantly became available, I was fresh on his brain and he called me first to extend an interview. So be persistent and keep all contacts warm, even if they tell you no initially. My 2 cents.