Advice about Residency Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milsha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm currently an intern at a program that's far away from my hometown. I have been adjusting fairly well into my program even though it is a busy program with a demanding schedule and have done well (or at least have not done bad enough to be called out on anything yet). I have even gotten on the difficult faculty's good side due to my consistent hard work. However, after a recent visit back home to see my father in a weak state of health, I have been very depressed since I've come back home and miss him very much. Although my work has not suffered and patient care has not changed, I still worry about him constantly and want to be close to him. Since he is still working and has younger children, he cannot come to stay with me, but I am curious as to what the likelihood of transferring is for someone into a second year spot? I feel like even if I were in the same time zone as him it would be helpful. All of this was in the back of my mind when I applied and matched, but unfortunately, due to my lack of competitiveness, I went higher on my rank list and into my safety list than I had hoped (still glad I have a job though!).

I just wonder if anyone would recommend transferring if one has no problems with the program but cannot be fully happy given the distance form loved ones. I was fortunate to attend medical school close by so that makes being away even more foreign. Eventhough I have a difficult workload, I still enjoy working in my program and have grown accustomed to the pace. The area that I would want to transfer to has a few Psychiatry programs, but most of them when I applied to last year, I did not match due to lack of competitiveness.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It never hurts to email those hometown programs and ask if they may have a PGY-2 opening for July. Chances are, they won't, but you never know. After 2nd year you may have more time to fly back for weekends , depending on your program's schedule.

PGY-II openings can be very hit and miss. There are some planned expansions out there, but the majority involve people leaving and program directors do not have much advanced warnings. Asking is common. Seems like every morning e-mail involves; no, no, no, no, and once in a great while, "oh my gosh, I do!" It is never a good thing to have to look for replacements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for the responses. I hate leaving my program because I've adapted well but the nostalgia and feelings of sadness when I leave home are a lot for me to bear. Unfortunately, the region we are talking about is the West coast and it's very hard to find openings there. But I'm going to continue to try.

Also, I'm curious, if my program doesn't offer Neurology during the first year but rather the 2nd year, does that mean I would not be able to transfer or is that something that is typically worked out with the program that would accept me? I have two more months of Inpatient Psychiatry and Consult in place of where i'd normally have Neuro during intern year per ACGME rules.

An accepting program will have to mold your clinical experience into what you still need vs what you are asking credit for. These are the things you need to tell them at interview and they need to tell you what rotations they will need from you. You may lose some elective time or even the ability to fast track depending an the fit.

We have had usually 1 person per year from our program match here (cuz it is a less competitive place) and then transfer out as PGY2 to west or east coast due to family or spouse obligations. They were able to do it. Seems like a good amount of pgy2 spots open up and if you are successfully navigating your pgy1 year, the competitiveness factor seems to be less of an issue for an opened pgy2 spot.

Thanks for the feedback. I really love a lot of things about my program and especially all my residents. The program is in a decent location as well and I would be 100% if it weren't for the distance from family.

I wonder for those that have transferred as a PGY2, how hard is it to navigate into a new system? I'm at a point where I know how my hospital runs, know the EMR well, and in general know the general swing of things to the point where I can handle a lot of the stuff on my own.

An accepting program will have to mold your clinical experience into what you still need vs what you are asking credit for. These are the things you need to tell them at interview and they need to tell you what rotations they will need from you. You may lose some elective time or even the ability to fast track depending an the fit.

Ideally, but some programs just want a warm body and end up screwing over their transfer residents (because they can). There's GWU psychiatry, for example. In 2010, they took a PGY2 rads resident for a PGY2 psych position and didn't tell him until half way through his PGY3 year that he would need to do an additional year of residency in order to satisfy the requirements for a child an adolescent fellowship (that he should have been able to start his PGY4 year). In 2012, GWU psych took a PGY1 OB resident but didn't tell her until 6 months before her expected graduation date that she would have to do another 3 months of inpatient work (pushing her graduation date back). Those are just 2 examples, and not even the complete list of how they failed to keep track of transfer residents' requirements, or even follow ACGME guidelines.

SO, don't just assume the program you transfer into has your best interests at heart.

I didn't realize how scarce PGY-2 positions are for Psychiatry.

Ideally, but some programs just want a warm body and end up screwing over their transfer residents (because they can). There's GWU psychiatry, for example. In 2010, they took a PGY2 rads resident for a PGY2 psych position and didn't tell him until half way through his PGY3 year that he would need to do an additional year of residency in order to satisfy the requirements for a child an adolescent fellowship (that he should have been able to start his PGY4 year). In 2012, GWU psych took a PGY1 OB resident but didn't tell her until 6 months before her expected graduation date that she would have to do another 3 months of inpatient work (pushing her graduation date back). Those are just 2 examples, and not even the complete list of how they failed to keep track of transfer residents' requirements, or even follow ACGME guidelines.

SO, don't just assume the program you transfer into has your best interests at heart.

oh, you're going to be THAT poster...

Unfortunately, my situation is such that due to a family health emergency, I am going to have to be back home after I finish this PGY-1 year. I am most likely going to be looking to take some time off if I cannot find anything. Anyone know anything that's popped up on the AADPRT Listserv?

Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having Milsha. I would like to switch for similar reasons. At what point am I committing a match violation by looking for a new spot? Is residentswap.org a scam? Are these PGY-1s looking to swap people who haven't even started yet? Is that kind of swapping allowed?

Aside from the resident swap website, which costs, and also is swap jot transfer. Can someone provide a link or a thread about transfer options for programs? How do you go about it?