Advice and School List (c3.56 s3.49 28MCAT 9/9/10)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skwrsw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am looking for some general advice and help with a school list. I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I have already submitted my amcas application and just received my mcat score today. As written in the title i got a 28 with subset scores of 9ps 9vr and 10bio. I am pretty disappointed with my score as I was expecting something at least in the low 30's and my last practice test was actually a 34.

So with that said I need some advice: Should I retake the Mcat or will I be too late for this cycle? If I do should I tell the schools that I am retaking it? If I were to take an August exam I wouldn't get my scores back until the middle or end of September. As I understand it if I let schools know about my retake then I wouldn't have my application reviewed until my new scores come in. However, if I don't let them know then I could be rejected by schools before my new score even comes in. Is that right?

Other question do I have a shot for an MD school? It is definitely preferred but I understand that I don't exactly have the most competitive statistics.

My resume:
White Male
One more year until I'm done with my bachelors

GPA: cumulative 3.56, science 3.49 with a relatively strong upward trend. (Freshman gpa was 3.0ish and I have gotten a 3.77 gpa since then.)

Research: 2.5 years of research with multiple publications and 7 or so posters.I am a secondary author for most but am currently working on another first author publication.
I have also presented at a CME conference with my father in law on the future of radiology. (random I know but it was fun)

volunteer positions: (combined they are at least 250 hours a year)
intern at a CT surgery clinic where I run a community outreach program and shadow in the OR

volunteer: 3 years as volunteer for free community health clinic. volunteered as spanish interpreter, phlebotomist, and student director. Involved with running the clinic while open and behind the scenes business stuff (ex. updating malpractice insurance)

Established a service program at my university that facilitated healthcare volunteer opportunities to pre-health students

Leader in local Cub Scout Troop

Work:
Hospital tech job for 6 months

Supply Chain manager for small supplement company

Other Extracurriculars
Physiology lab TA 1 semester

225 hours of shadowing

2 year LDS (mormon) mission to South America from 2009-2011.

Speak Spanish

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Forgot to add that I'm a California Resident.

School List:
UC Riverside (I'm from Southern California)
Utah
USUHS
MC Wisconsin
Arizona - Phoenix
Arizona - Tuscon
Loma Linda
NYMC
Oakland
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
Tulane
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Temple
Drexel
George Washington

DO:
Western - CA
Midwestern AZ
Tuoro - Nevada
Tuoro - CA
DMU

I know its a lot of schools. Paying for the secondaries and putting in the time for quality essays is not the issue. I am more concerned about making a reasonable list of schools that I at least have a shot at. @gyngyn , @Goro and co. I would really appreciate the help.

Thank you.

You have a good list. The only ones I can think of adding would be Jefferson and St. Louis and your state schools. The California state schools are competitive but that is your residency so apply to several. If you are convinced that you could increase your MCAT to 30 or higher with more studying a retake would be reasonable. Also consider DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
What California school do you think I'd have a shot at? UC Irvine/Davis?

Yes, those 2 are worth an application, especially if you raise your MCAT to the low 30's. Any others would be a reach.

Goro suggests

UC Riverside (I'm from Southern California)
USUHS (only if you're committed to serving your country in the US military)
MC Wisconsin
Loma Linda (have you read their list of don'ts?)
NYMC
Oakland
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Temple
Drexel
George Washington

DO:
Western - CA
Midwestern AZ
Tuoro - Nevada
Tuoro - CA
DMU
Western-OR
PacNW
KCUMB
CCOM

@Goro do you still recommend those schools even without retaking the Mcat?

Would getting a 30+ score back on a retake sometime in the middle/end of September help my application or would it just delay me so much that it wouldn't be beneficial?

Thank you for the help!!!

@Goro do you still recommend those schools even without retaking the Mcat?

Would getting a 30+ score back on a retake sometime in the middle/end of September help my application or would it just delay me so much that it wouldn't be beneficial?

Thank you for the help!!!
That's far too late for this cycle. Although you have solid research, I'm concerned you may get computer screened out at UC's (including Davis/Irvine), but it doesn't hurt to apply.

Would it also be too late if I took the test in August and got my scores back in September?