Advice at a new Med School-Balancing Boards & Class Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blatauthoshunt42

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, lots of people have tips for you, as this is one of the most commonly asked questions. I recommend using the search function to see what strategies work for you.

The conventional board prep resources are UFAPS. Generally, the earlier you can incorporate these into your daily studies, the better (save UWorld for second year). Though it should be noted that especially first year, taking the time to learn the material in more depth via your textbook or a lecture or Dr. Najeeb will really help compared to just memorizing what is in First Aid.

UFAPS:
UWorld
First Aid
Pathoma
Sketchy Micro (Sketch pharm is solid as well)

If your taking comlex that early, I think you do USMLE later. I agree with the traditional method, but with that early a test, I feel like you are missing on significant study time.

Members don't see this ad :)
My Plan
- First Aid and Pathoma annotation as you go thru course work (wish I started annoting along first year, but didn't get texts for either until this year)
- Ran thru sketchy past summer, so I could hit Pepper micro & pharm anki decks during block 5 and count that as my boards studying for the block.
- Next block (block 6), will try and do 5 or so Q's a day on avg... use Boards & Beyond/Pathoma/FA to review old systems the questions hit.
- December will start UW

Not taking COMLEX/USMLE until mid June.

Everyone has a diff plan. Don't try to imitate someone else's. Find out what works for you and stick to it.

I’m having a hard time integrating board prep into school work. We’re required to be at school so it’s hard to follow a schedule that CramFighter generates.

Also does anyone have tips on answering board prep questions? I can do them, but I get so many wrong and get discouraged. How do you go about reviewing the questions you get wrong?

I’m having a hard time integrating board prep into school work. We’re required to be at school so it’s hard to follow a schedule that CramFighter generates.

Also does anyone have tips on answering board prep questions? I can do them, but I get so many wrong and get discouraged. How do you go about reviewing the questions you get wrong?
In reference to your OP, the second you’re allowed to schedule your exam, schedule it for the latest date possible. That’s gonna fill up super fast.

5-6 weeks is plenty of time.

In reference to your first paragraph, no one has time. You just have to make time. It’s completely unreasonable how much is going to be expected of you between now and then. You just do it.

In reference to your second paragraph, check your ego at the door. Easier said than done. What helped me was doing questions in the morning and not going over them until the next day. It sucks but it’s the best way to learn.

OP when you first start doing UW Kaplan or Rx questions you will get a lot wrong. Thats normal. Youll get better at them. Many students even the top students start out getting their asses kicked doing UW questions. I also had cold feet completely switching from class slides to UFAPS but you just gotta do it even if you take a dip in your grades. I started UFAPS this year and my grades dropped slightly but you will be so happy you did in the spring when other people listened to their school administrations advice that “studying for class is studying for boards” this will hit them like a ton of bricks and you will be feeling lessed stressed because your pals here on SDN look out for you and are telling you to start sooner than later. Its good advice.

edit: I kind of eased my way into UFAPS where i started sketchy micro/path and pathoma from day one second year and started Boards and beyond and first aid just two blocks ago and man is it awesome. It is so comprehensive they will cover at least 80% of the stuff you need to know for class. I will save class slides for like 2 days before the exam and youll notice its mostly review youll be power flipping through slides light speed because you know a lot of it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users