Advice between USF, LECOM(Bradenton) and nova southeastern university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melaortiz23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of applying to USF, LECOM Bradenton, and Nova Southeastern University. I would love it if recent graduates (or not so recent) could tell me their experiences in those institutions, their stats, and what they would do differently. I wanted to know if any puertorican attended these universities and came back to the island to practice. I would also appreciate input, from other pharm grads. Even if they aren't from Puerto Rico. However, if you are Puerto Rican, were you able to find a job on the island? I really want to consider everything before doing the move and would appreciate every bit of information.

Members don't see this ad.

Only joblessness, bankruptcy and depression awaits you. Choose wisely, young padawan...

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Only joblessness, bankruptcy and depression awaits you. Choose wisely, young padawan...
Did you had the opportunity of finishing and finding a job? or you desisted from studying pharmacy? Back home we are told that pharmacy is the way to go. That is why I'm confused when I saw all the threads :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you had the opportunity of finishing and finding a job? or you desisted from studying pharmacy? Back home we are told that pharmacy is the way to go. That is why I'm confused when I saw all the threads :dead:
Years ago. Times have changed. It started getting bad in 2016, and is a cluster now due to hitting peak saturation and covid. Look up BLS, the government is projecting a -3% job growth from 2019-2029. The 2020-2030 projection will likely be at -30%.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say to expand your horizons to UF, Florida A&M, and USF as well. There's no reason to go to a private school if one of the state schools will admit you even at out-of-state rates. If you are from Puerto Rico, I don't know if the out-of-state tuition is still waived, but at one point it was for USF.

Reactions: 1 users
Years ago. Times have changed. It started getting bad in 2016, and is a cluster now due to hitting peak saturation and covid. Look up BLS, the government is projecting a -3% job growth from 2019-2029. The 2020-2030 projection will likely be at -30%.
It started getting bad long before 2016. It started being bad around 2011-12. It was on its way there since ~2005.

Reactions: 4 users
I would say to expand your horizons to UF, Florida A&M, and USF as well. There's no reason to go to a private school if one of the state schools will admit you even at out-of-state rates. If you are from Puerto Rico, I don't know if the out-of-state tuition is still waived, but at one point it was for USF.
How was your experience in USF? I considered it because I have people with whom I could stay that live near the area. So far it's my first choice, but dont know how pharmacies in PR will see it.

Pay attention..or you WILL regret ever hearing the word "pharmacist".....( I mean..what more can you tell this young gent)

I'm thinking of applying to USF, LECOM Bradenton, and Nova Southeastern University. I would love it if recent graduates (or not so recent) could tell me their experiences in those institutions, their stats, and what they would do differently. I wanted to know if any puertorican attended these universities and came back to the island to practice. I would also appreciate input, from other pharm grads. Even if they aren't from Puerto Rico. However, if you are Puerto Rican, were you able to find a job on the island? I really want to consider everything before doing the move and would appreciate every bit of information.

You are 15 years late. Pharmacy is dead.

Reactions: 1 user
lmao. who is telling you to go do pharmacy?
When you say back home, do you mean like back home in year 2005?

Reactions: 2 users

No no no. Pharmacy is not the way to go.. Go away from pharmacy.
Trust me, we aren't just bashing and warning people to avoid pharmacy just for s**ts and giggles. I can't give you any more proof. Go talk to pharmacists in person if you don't believe us here. I'm tired of these pharmacy schools lowering standards to fill their seats just so they can make profit while the pharmacy market worsens with saturation.

Reactions: 2 users
As a Puerto Rican, it won't really matter as long as you are licensed. However, debt will matter in the jobs and quality of life you can get. Nova has a good program where you can do the 4 years on the island. The license is the same as the naplex and the law exams change by state but most friends who can take them pass them. If you are worried about PCAT, LECOM doesn't require one if you have a BA.