Advice, (+encouragement) sought for MCAT retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAATPase

My friend Rob and me
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for insight on a retake strategy. I received my scores from 3/22 and received a 10/8/10 for a 28. I began studying mid-October with two delays (1 in Jan. 1 in Mid Feb for family time). I was pretty far removed from the material and needed the time to relearn chem, and parts of physics and ochem. Averaged 30 hours per week.

I took 14 practice tests prior to 3/22. I mimicked test day timing, however took them in a comfortable setting.

The scores (not in order taken, but from Jan to 3/22)

Kaplan1: 30
Kap2: 33
Kap3: 37
Kap4:39
Kap7:33
Kap8:24
Kap9:35

AAMC (shown in order taken, I saved 9 for a retake luckily)

3:29 (9/9/11)
4:35 (11/13/11)
5:33 (11/11/11)
7: 37 (12/11/14)
8: 34 (12/11/11)
11:31 (10/10/11)
10:35 (12/11/12)

Needless to say, I am disappointed. I believed I hit burnout around 8 or 11, and got lucky on 10 the ten days before my test.

My tentative plan:

Redo the TBR passages (did them in November don’t remember much if at all). Do Kaplan section tests, and perhaps 2 secondary FLs before the real thing. Take my saved AAMC9 before the test to get ready for AAMC verbal.

I feel better now and I looking for input on when to reschedule. I plan to apply this cycle and I wondering if a late may, early,mid, or late June seems best. I am leaning towards early to mid June. I don’t want to burnout again, but have seen the countless warnings on SDN about rushing a retake and digging a bigger hole.

It seems strange that I would score lower than my record low on 2 of the 3 sections. I knew Verbal felt like a fluke immediately, and it carried over to bio I guess.

Input,advice, and perhaps encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to find the confidence to run at it again. Perhaps some anti-anxiety techniques that worked for you during the 3 hour MCAT crucible?

Thank you

-AATPASE

Members don't see this ad.

Bump?

TL;DR

Scored 6 points below AAMC average. Wondering if a retake sooner than later is best, as I believe the problem was burnout, as opposed to content knowledge and practice. I have everything else in order to apply this cycle (Committee letter, 3.83 GPA, 3000+ hours of research). Any experience with a retake after a disappointing, and as compared to practice tests...surprisingly low MCAT?

I ordered to EK PS problems today to help work out on that section as well.

I don't have any advice for a retake or what not but man that blows. Your scores are so below your average I would be afraid of getting another low score on the real deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk