Advice for 2017 Non-trad Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wagonwheel23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Now that us 2016ers have mostly wrapped up our application cycles, I thought it might be nice for us to share words of wisdom with the next cohort of applicants.

Here are a few tips from me...

1. Stay away from school specific SDN threads. Hearing about other people getting interviews when I was sitting in a sea of silence skyrocketed my anxiety unnecessarily. You don't know what kind of process a school has, so there is no point in trying to figure it out and guess whether or not you are still in the running.

2. Leave your phone at home sometimes to avoid checking email incessantly. It will be there for you when you get home.

3. Do not take rejection as a message that you are unfit to be a doctor. This process is just too competitive to interview everyone that would be successful at that school.

4. Practice self care! Eat well, exercise, and indulge in your hobbies. You need to stay sane and enjoy life. Don't make this the most stressful/miserable year of your life.

5. If you get an interview, they already like you. Go into your interview with confidence and be yourself!

Ok, that is all from me for now. Best of luck guys! You'll do fantastically.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Now that us 2016ers have mostly wrapped up our application cycles, I thought it might be nice for us to share words of wisdom with the next cohort of applicants.

Here are a few tips from me...

1. Stay away from school specific SDN threads. Hearing about other people getting interviews when I was sitting in a sea of silence skyrocketed my anxiety unnecessarily. You don't know what kind of process a school has, so there is no point in trying to figure it out and guess whether or not you are still in the running.

2. Leave your phone at home sometimes to avoid checking email incessantly. It will be there for you when you get home.

3. Do not take rejection as a message that you are unfit to be a doctor. This process is just too competitive to interview everyone that would be successful at that school.

4. Practice self care! Eat well, exercise, and indulge in your hobbies. You need to stay sane and enjoy life. Don't make this the most stressful/miserable year of your life.

5. If you get an interview, they already like you. Go into your interview with confidence and be yourself!

Ok, that is all from me for now. Best of luck guys! You'll do fantastically.

Thank you for this. I love this thread already! :D