Advice for a black male college freshman?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravens18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm an incoming college freshman at George Washington University and I'll be starting my premed adventures this fall. I just got my schedule and I'll be taking intro bio and intro chem first semester so I'm excited and nervous. I attended my orientation about a month ago and I noticed I was the only black male premed at the premed meeting which was rather discouraging. To all of you older guys who are premed or applying to med school, what advice can you give me, urm related or in general about being premed. Thanks in advance for your input! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I'm an incoming college freshman at George Washington University and I'll be starting my premed adventures this fall. I just got my schedule and I'll be taking intro bio and intro chem first semester so I'm excited and nervous. I attended my orientation about a month ago and I noticed I was the only black male premed at the premed meeting which was rather discouraging. To all of you older guys who are premed or applying to med school, what advice can you give me, urm related or in general about being premed. Thanks in advance for your input! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

1. Get use to being the only black in all your science classes.
2. Get use to being asked dumb/offensive questions by some of your more sheltered Caucasian classmate
3. Get use to not being able to identify with any of the other blacks at your university because most of them won't be as driven
4. If your from an inner-city public school you may already be way behind your other classmates so seek tutoring services the first 2 weeks class starts
5. Oh and one of your caucasian classmates at one point may touch your hair just to see what it feels like (usually a girl) just smile and nod

I have a lot more I will reply later

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The funny thing is I've already experienced point #2. While I was at my orientation this one Caucasian asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and looked so perplexed that I was serious and was asking me a dozen questions about it. I thought it was more of ignorance than him trying to be offensive to I took it lightly with a smile. And no I'm not from an inner city public school I went to a pretty well ranked high school in New Jersey but if I ever need help I'll look for tutoring services asap. I think GW is a pretty good and fairly prestigious university so hopefully the other black will be as driven!

Members don't see this ad :)
The funny thing is I've already experienced point #2. While I was at my orientation this one Caucasian asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and looked so perplexed that I was serious and was asking me a dozen questions about it. I thought it was more of ignorance than him trying to be offensive to I took it lightly with a smile. And no I'm not from an inner city public school I went to a pretty well ranked high school in New Jersey but if I ever need help I'll look for tutoring services asap. I think GW is a pretty good and fairly prestigious university so hopefully the other black will be as driven!

In my experience, nobody will take you seriously (this includes professors and pre-med offices/committees) until you prove yourself. Which sucks but whatever. Extra motivation IMO

Yeah the more motivation the better!

Focus on your studies leave the lil nappy headed girls alone.

I'll do my best! I wanna find a good balance between work and play, grades come first though

6. this is a perk but still embarrssing a little, but all your professor will know you and your name. As other students try to stand out to get there professor to remember them you will have no problem at all . Literally all you have to do is come to class and sit in the front row. If you attend one of his office hours just like that you have a friend for life. Its a perk because you need letter of recommendation.

7. If or when you attend a predominantly white party, everybody there will think your cool just because and try to make conversation with you. ( another perk but gets annoying if you just trying to chill)

8. Like other people have stated nobody will take you serious when you say your thinking of medical school. Honestly if I were I would just say" I'm a bio-major" and leave it at that.

I have more....

Last edited:
Actually I'm considering majoring in psychology since that subject interests me a lot. And those perks sound pretty awesome to me lol. I appreciate everybody's responses

Actually I'm considering majoring in psychology since that subject interests me a lot. And those perks sound pretty awesome to me lol. I appreciate everybody's responses

Majoring in psychology is a great idea. You will have a higher GPA and won't be asked if your pre- med. I just looked it up, I had no idea George Washington was ranked that high, in that case you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding other AA with a similar focused mindsets. Good luck!

Last edited:
Also make sure you are reaching out to professors for research opportunities, volunteering once in a while, and building a solid inventory as far as ECs go. You'll find everything you need on the site.

this doesn't have anything to do with race but you should get to know your pre-med advisors on campus and make them like you because you might need a letter

but remember, and this is the important part......DO NOT LISTEN to your premed advisor. check everything told to you against the advise of the adcoms that are a part of SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay attention in class. Balance study with fun. Stay healthy

Make sure you are always setting goals for your self, both long and short term goals. Of course try to maximize your GPA, and in order to do so, plan out how you will work on getting that accomplished. One thing that I did for myself was I sat down, and made a 4 year "what-to-do" sheet. In that I kept jobs, opportunities, research, and experiences that I wanted to be involved with, then I worked on accomplishing them throughout the years. It is important to know that as a premedical student aiming to get into medical school, you just HAVE to work a lot harder than most of your peers, so keep this in mind. I think one thing that people who lose focus have in common is distractions. It might seem appealing to go to this or that party this day, or this event or this activity, but make sure your number one priority (which you came to school for) is to succeed academically. The truth of the matter is that succeeding academically, having a high GPA opens SOOOO many doors for you, and it is very important to focus on that. I'll list a few examples of this. First off when you get that high GPA first semester, you have a feeling of accomplishment, and that feeling can carry you to know that you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to. Your GPA can also open doors to world class research programs, which can be VERY valuable as you pursue your medical journey. GPA can get you scholarships, and opportunities even beyond undergrad as well. So my number one advise is to focus on your GPA. Think of it as your baby, your life line, your essence, and defend it with all your might. Of course college isn't all about studying. Make sure you take the time to really get to understand yourself, your interests and focus on accomplishing goals. Make time to enjoy the road as well.

These are some advice. One thing that I do each semester is that I have a piece of paper attached to my door which lists my dreams and aspirations, so that everyday I wake up and walk out of the door, I see this, and I am driven to work hard that day to meet these goals.

Just my two cents. Work hard, and Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your responses! I appreciate you all taking the time out of your day to give me helpful advice! I am even more motivated now to work hard and do well in college to hopefully pursue my aspirations of medicine

Surround yourself with individuals that are as driven/more driven than you in regards to academics. Stay fit/join intramural sports. Realize the importance of your GPA, try your best not to slack off. Also, if you have a pre-medical organization, join. Good luck, bro!

Yeah that's a great idea, that way we can push and help each other. And yeah I'm planning on joining a premed club and hopefully I can hold some sort of leadership position. I also plan on joining an intramural/club sport to stay active. After all my studying I'll need it haha. Thanks manofdiligence good luck with your applications!

1) Do the major your like (psychology), fulfill the pre-med prerequisites slowly, don't rush this. Although, it's not a requirement at most schools make sure to keep up with your math as it'll make physics and all lab courses that much easier.
2) Get involved in research, there's probably a TRIO program in your region as it lobbied in DC, so there's probably a under represented (UR) outreach program meant to get URs into pipeline research projects -- try to get something in psychology. I used to work in an office for that, so I know they exist. You don't need to publish necessarily, just present a few posters, try to travel on stipends etc. It'll give your application some weight, and you'll learn a lot.
3) Start a curriculum vitae now. It'll make applying easier because you don't have to try to remember what you did and why it mattered.
4) Some people won't like you -- this means you have a fan club. Some people would give me dirty stares as I turned in my orgo exams extra early, you can use that extra time to party (see 7) because you didn't cram like others.
5) As someone mentioned, get a mentor. But, if you have a crappy mentor don't stay with them. Your campus probably has something called the Office of Undergraduate Research, you can start there or talk to your professors. But, if you talk to that office first you can be more strategic about who to take courses with to build relationships in the first place.
6) Use office hours, but do so wisely. Work your butt off to answer questions, show your curiosity in the office hours -- I was offered my first physiology project this way.
7) Make good friends who are also scholars in mindset, they'll understand you for you.
8) Don't cram. Nothing in undergrad really goes all that deep (that's why there's PhDs and post docs), so you're always learning a good overview. But this also means there's just a lot of information, none of it is that hard if you don't cram.
9) Do your own research, either way it's your ass on the line not anyone one here, your advisors, or friends.
10) Get tutoring, you're paying for it already in your student fees. If you're doing fine, then learn some advanced stuff from your tutor. People used to come to me for orgo tutoring who were doing fine, but they just wanted to know how to do those end of the chapter problems to finish things off etc, I didn't mind it.
11) Work your ass off for the MCAT, don't think you'll make up a bad GPA with a stellar MCAT.
12) Apply early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!

Well I can tell you what I did but I'm sure you'll want do some things differently. I guess I'll start off with what not to do first semester. You've got to study much, much more than you did in HS. I went to a not so great school in LA. Not bottom of the barrel though and I passed all my AP exams so I thought I was ready. You have to study the whole way through the semester but I have to disagree with what was said above and tell you that even after studying hard the whole way through you need to cram at the end. That's just the way our minds are made. If you cram at the end you'll do better than if you don't whether you studied hard all semester or not.

Do some research with someone where you can get published. That means something clinical, don't waste your time in lab unless that's what you want to do after you're done with undergrad. GW has the med school (but don't be afraid to go across town to one of the other schools) so find someone doing clinical research and get your name on some papers. After you've gotten good grades first semester this should be your top priority. Go meet with the 4th year med students applying for residency and they can point you in the right direction for who you want do research with and make sure it's someone who publishes regularly - look them up on pubmed.

Pick up the Berkeley Review books for the MCAT right now and study along during the semester if you can. I'm living proof that a normal guy can get a 38+ on the MCAT if he studies like crazy for 8 months.

Thanks guys for the tips! I know I'm just a freshman and the MCAT is a couple of years away but I plan on applying to med school my junior year as a traditional student. So I've kind of already made a tentative 4 year schedule (since I have to fit in prerequisites on top of being a non-sci major and fulfilling my schools grad reqs) and I plan on taking a lighter course load (around 13 credits) spring semester of junior year to begin to study for that dreaded test with hopes of taking it around June. Does this seem practical to study while taking classes?

In my experience, nobody will take you seriously (this includes professors and pre-med offices/committees) until you prove yourself. Which sucks but whatever. Extra motivation IMO
No one takes any premed seriously until they've actually proven themselves.

I would say remember its a gpa game. Not to not choose rigorous classes at all, but if you are not good at physics/math and you school offers algebra based physics for 3 terms/semesters and the calculus based physics is two semesters/terms choose algebra. Your major difficulty/choice will only be a factor if its known to be radically harder (statistically) and even then it barely does anything. So if you like psychology but are doing poorly but acing bio(or anything) maybe consider changing majors

Thanks Naijapride (btw I'm also Nigerian woot!). Yeah my first year I want to get off to a really good start and am aiming/hoping for a 3.5+ gpa

Reactions: 1 users
No one takes any premed seriously until they've actually proven themselves.

I've always felt like I've had to work harder than my peers to make people believe that I'm actually serious and that my accomplishments are no accident :shrug:

Last edited:

Hey man, i agree. That is life in general and especially medicine. The more successful you become, the more likely you will look less like people next to you. Be on your Ps and Qs at all times. Read, study, prepare more than the person next to you. People will expect you to be inferior and less knowledgeable but dispel those myths by working that much harder. In the end, these people will be your future colleagues so get to know them, ask them questions, etc. You will do great! Just study hard and keep striving for the top!

================
www.fiverr.com/awebbster_1982
Like my page at: facebook.com/awebbmd
Follow me at: antoniowebbmd.wordpress.com

BUILD RELATIONSHIPS!!!! This includes professors, advisers, faculty, and students. When it's time to get letters of recommendations, you should easily have four science professors that will write a bomb letter for you. Also,the chance of working along side the professor for lab experience is a plus! Advisers will help when it comes to seeking the right opportunities for you. Faculty members such as supervisors and campus leaders (President, Dean of Students, etc) will also look out for you if needed. And last but not least, build relationships with other students! Have a social life, have friends you can STUDY with, have friends you can do business with, and have friends you can kick it with! Study, study, study, and STAY on top of your school work! Everything else will fall into place. And leave a legacy on your campus...ask yourself, "What impact have I made here at George Washington University during my undergrad experience?"

LIVE IT UP!!! YOU'LL NEVER GET THESE YEARS BACK!!!

I'm currently a practicing anesthesiologist. I'll give you what I think and you can take for it what you please.

1. You're in college which is already a great accomplishment as a black man, but remember, the minute you walk in that class (heck, even out of you dorm room) you're already down 14-0 with the ball on your own 20 yd line. That's life, but play the game straight and make good, SMART decisions and you'll get ahead.

2. This must be repeated. Get used to being the only black male in white rooms. Unless you're at a HBCU or work at one this will be the case in MOST careers.

3. Personal advice which may be wrong. Don't major in science unles you love science. Major in something you love and ACE you pre med core. Actually, get a tech degree

Also.....the school that will give you the most money is your #1 choice. Obviously if Harvard call then answer, but just keeps in mind that student loans are NO JOKE