Advice for a College Freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDrCameron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to get your opinion on what I can do as of now to become competitive for medical school admission. Also, how difficult is it to be accepted in one of the UC's being an OOS applicant? (NYS resident)

Current stats on myself:

3.5 GPA

Certified Nursing Assistant with about 120 hours of clinical experience

Secretary of Premed club

Intern at the Children's Brain Tumor Foundation

Any feedback and information would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You have no MCAT and your GPA means little.because its based on one semester of classes. There are many threads you can find on what makes a successful applicant.

Regarding UC accept: several of them state no preference for Californians , but they're quite tough to get in to

1. Keep yourself doing something every year whether it is research or volunteering or shadowing
2. Start to form relationships with faculty and other professionals for great LOR during the cycle you apply
3. Keep your cgpa and sgpa above 3.5 if you can
4. Take mcat during the cycle you apply and score in 90th percentile.
5. Post again right before you apply about any questions you have

Members don't see this ad :)
You have no MCAT and your GPA means little.because its based on one semester of classes. There are many threads you can find on what makes a successful applicant.

Regarding UC accept: several of them state no preference for Californians , but they're quite tough to get in to
Thank you very much for the insight

1. Keep yourself doing something every year whether it is research or volunteering or shadowing
2. Start to form relationships with faculty and other professionals for great LOR during the cycle you apply
3. Keep your cgpa and sgpa above 3.5 if you can
4. Take mcat during the cycle you apply and score in 90th percentile.
5. Post again right before you apply about any questions you have
Will do ! Thank you very much