Advice for a Struggling Sophmore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDave

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone had some advice for me and if I should consider an alternate career path at this point of my undergrad. I have completed 3 semesters of college at UNC Chapel Hill and I've taken Chemistry up until Orgo 1 but I just got a D in it this semester...
My gpa is currently below average at 2.5 and my science gpa is probably around the same. I have some volunteering and some shadowing done with more planned. I might possibly get a Pharmacy Tech internship over the next semester in hopes of it beefing up my resume a bit. I currently don't have any plans yet in the summer but am open to suggestions. Right now its looking like I'll try to obtain an internship somewhere, volunteer more, and shadow more as well.

Any ideas of what I should do? I only now realized how I shot myself in the foot with my poor study habits and I'm going to dedicate my time in the spring semester to getting all As which I believe is possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Any ideas of what I should do? I only now realized how I shot myself in the foot with my poor study habits and I'm going to dedicate my time in the spring semester to getting all As which I believe is possible.

You answered your own question. Work harder.

Reactions: 4 users
As the OP said there is no alternative of hard working. So for success in life you should be a good worker. Try for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just worried that because of how badly I did my first semesters, I may have eliminated any chance of getting into dental school.

I was just worried that because of how badly I did my first semesters, I may have eliminated any chance of getting into dental school.
Shoot for a significant upper trend in your latter science courses, pursue that pharma internship and seek out leadership positions at your school..

Oh and to make up for your Orgo grade, either retake the course or score very high on the OC section of the DAT.

U could get a 30 on your OC and that won't do a thing. You have to retake and get a minimum of a C.

Reactions: 1 user
Most dental schools, if not all, will not accept a D in a pre-req class so you will for sure have to take it again. In today's competitive nature, GPA is king. Even more than your DAT score so if your true goal is being a dentist no matter what, you should start thinking about/planning into your life plan to do a post-graduate masters program (~2 years) and absolutely killing it (3.6+).

Yes I am planning on retaking the course.
Which would be better in my situation? Assuming I make 3.6+ gpa my remaining years and bring both my ogpa and sgpa to around 3.1-3.2 and do decent on the DAT (AA 22+?), would I stand a shot at applying to instate dental schools such as East Carolina?
If not, should I be focusing on a masters or post-bac?