ADVICE FOR APPIC MATCH NEXT YEAR- DUI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docwannabepsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In preparing for my internship application next year....

I got a DUI in NJ, where it is not "considered" a felony/misdemeanor, but a serious traffic violation.
I wanted to apply mainly to VAs and I am wondering whether this would come up on a background check, and whether this would kill my chances.

This happened around 7 years ago. I was young, stupid, and clueless... I just need some guidance now. I truly wanna turn my life around. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It will come up in a background check, so I would recommend also listing it on the APPIC form, where indicated. It won't kill your chances, as long as you have a good CV to cover up for it. The fact that it was fairly long ago also helps. Had it been the year you were applying for internship, not so good.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed, it'll show up, and the APPIC form will ask about it (I believe it mentions anything besides minor traffic violations). It may vary a bit from site to site, but like WisNeuro said, given that it was a while back, it shouldn't abolish your chances outright.

Once you get to the point of applying for jobs, if you stay within the VA system, you may not have to list it anymore, as I believe they only ask about violations within the past XX number of years. May still need to discuss it for licensure, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had to do a background check/ security clearance when I was at a Va. Could have been something about the research. They found some
grade school teachers.