Advice for Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robertd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having my MCAT on this 22nd May. I was wondering if it is okay to submitted AMCAS application a 1-2 week after MCAT exam.

Here's the plan:

May 22nd: MCAT exam
By June 5th: Submit AMCAS Application
June 22nd: MCAT Score Released

Should I submit AMCAS app May 5th or it doesn't matter as long as I have my transcripts and rest verified/ready before MCAT score release?

Also, do med schools review applications after their deadlines or as they come by?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am having my MCAT on this 22nd May. I was wondering if it is okay to submitted AMCAS application a 1-2 week after MCAT exam.

Here's the plan:

Should I submit AMCAS app May 5th or it doesn't matter as long as I have my transcripts and rest verified/ready before MCAT score release?

Also, do med schools review applications after their deadlines or as they come by?

Thanks

You cannot submit your amcas app until the first day, which is usually in early June. You can start completing it and submitting transcripts in early May, but cannot submit until early June. So, make sure your app is complete by the first day of submission and submit it so when June 22nd comes, your application will be 100% complete. To answer your 2nd question, med schools review applications as they come in, so this is why it is in your best interest to apply as early as possible.

If you are not confident of your MCAT performance, when you submit the first week of June, you can list just one school initially, just to get the verification process started. After the score comes back, you can add more schools depending on how competitive the score is. Newly added schools get the entire complete application within one business day.

And don't forget to have all your Letters of Recommendation lined up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Here's the plan:

Thanks

Submit your AMCAS application as early as you can. If you wait for your MCAT scores, you are needlessly delaying your application. Most places will look at your application, see that you are taking the MCAT and reveiw everything except the scores that they don't have.

If you do pooly on the MCAT, they are still going to see the scores whether you have applied this year or later because a poor MCAT score stays with you. The worst that can happen is they tell you to retake the MCAT which would would already know because you get the score report too. The best case is that your scores come in and your application is there too already reviewed so that they can send your interview invitation faster.

Don't make it a plan that you are going to "retake" the MCAT. Get that application in and do well on that test on one take. Multiple retakes on the MCAT are a huge "red flag" so make yourself do well on the first go. If you are not ready for the MCAT, the don't take it and immediately register for a later one but don't delay submitting your AMCAS for MCAT scores.

It's worth noting that no medical school will get any applications from AMCAS until around June 20th. So adding more schools June 22nd will not hurt you in the least.