Advice for Away Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenkitty93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
I'm an M3 and starting to think about away rotations! I am trying to do 2-3 and was hoping I could get advice on the strategy for applying to them.
1. Does applying earlier help your chances?
2. How many aways should one apply to?
3. Any general advice? lol

I'm in the process of asking the current residents at my home institution and the program director, but I wanted to see what maybe some of the current M4s have to say since y'all are the closest to me. But any advice is super appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes. Earliest possible. Sometimes people tell you that you're too early, and that's fine, just ask them when the first day is and apply ASAP after that day.
2. Would recommend at least double, if not triple, the number you want to actually do (including if you really want to do an away at one site, giving them 2 to 3 options for when to take you). Applying for an away and then declining it is not a big deal. Applying to 5 when you want 3 and only getting 2 is a bigger deal.
3. If you're set on Rad Onc, you already have some exposure to the field. Be punctual, be interested, try to see consults. Try to work with whoever you're targeting to write your LoR. Don't worry as much about dosimetry/rad bio/physics as a medical student. Knowledge of the NCCN guidelines for that disease (primarily staging and treatment) for a MS4 is a good launching off point. At very least, be able to stage the patient (if straight forward). Be able to take a good, focused, timely H&P (try not to spend an hour in the consult). Always ask about previous RT history and presence of any implanted devices that may be affected by radiation (pacemaker, ICD).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!! When you say "people" who do you mean? Like the course coordinator at the institution you're interested in?
And they really don't mind if you decline it?

1. Yes. Earliest possible. Sometimes people tell you that you're too early, and that's fine, just ask them when the first day is and apply ASAP after that day.
2. Would recommend at least double, if not triple, the number you want to actually do (including if you really want to do an away at one site, giving them 2 to 3 options for when to take you). Applying for an away and then declining it is not a big deal. Applying to 5 when you want 3 and only getting 2 is a bigger deal.
3. If you're set on Rad Onc, you already have some exposure to the field. Be punctual, be interested, try to see consults. Try to work with whoever you're targeting to write your LoR. Don't worry as much about dosimetry/rad bio/physics as a medical student. Knowledge of the NCCN guidelines for that disease (primarily staging and treatment) for a MS4 is a good launching off point. At very least, be able to stage the patient (if straight forward). Be able to take a good, focused, timely H&P (try not to spend an hour in the consult). Always ask about previous RT history and presence of any implanted devices that may be affected by radiation (pacemaker, ICD).
ks

The medical student coordinators for the rotation, yes.

As long as you decline it at initial consideration. Sometimes people even accept an away then have to let them know that they are dropping it later. As long as these things are done in reasonable time (meaning as soon as you know, ideally 4+ weeks before rotation start) I can't imagine it would affect you for most, if not all, locations.