Veterinary Advice for high school student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerioDont

Resident Periodontist
7+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
I’m a current junior in high school in America. I’m considering going into vet studies, but most likely in Canada, UK, or an accelerated program in the US because I don’t want to study for 8-10 years. I’m not entirely sure about vet sciences, because the fact that I don’t answer to study that long might be an indication that I’m not entirely passionate in it. Besides volunteering at an animal shelter, there aren’t many opportunities to shadow or work with animals in the area that I live in so it’s hard to explore my interest.

I’d like some overall advice on the career path itself, and also what I should do during high school to prepare. Thank you!

Hi, welcome to the forums! Keep your mind open.

I felt very similar to you when I was a junior in HS. I wanted to finish things as fast as I could, and I ended up graduating from college and getting into dental school when I was 19.

8-10 years may seem like a long time, but it really passes by very quickly. in some ways, I wish I actually spend more time being present in the moment in college and not trying to figure out every shortcut to save time.

being in healthcare, you do have to spend time in school. Even the accelerated BS/DVM programs in the US are 7 years minimum.

Do you have an idea of where you want to go to college and what you would study? to become a vet in the US, you will need to do a bachelors degree, usually done in 4yr of college, and then apply to vet school which is another 4 years.

What other things are you interested in? Have you ever spoken with a vet?

all things to think about in your journey!

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
The problem is, it’s not just the long time studying for me, it’s the fact that I’ll have to depend on my parents for that time and use up their money. I would really like to get into healthcare, but I’m not sure if it’s for me. Academically and interest-wise, it’s fine, but I’m not sure if I have the right mentality.

I’ve looked into colleges that provide an accelerated programs in the US. One has a vet scholars program that I was interested in. The problem is, if I don’t get in the program, I’m not really interested in doing 4 years undergrad. I’m also interested in psychiatry, but I don’t want to take pre-med. That’s why I’m considering a psychology major and possibly becoming a researcher.

I’m not sure what I should change: my career choice or mentality. It’s hard to understand what would be the right decision, because I’m still in high school and have a myriad of different career paths calling to me. Sorry if this was long, it’s just that I don’t have many opportunities to ask for advice. Thank you so much!

There really aren't too many shortcuts to medical, dental, vet school. Like stated above, that may seem like a long time, but it will fly by.

Hi! I have always suggested looking at the Explore Health Careers website. If you need to get a job fast, check out vet tech at least as a way to support yourself until you can go to college and get coursework for vet school. There are no shortcuts if it is something you feel very passionate about.

link: Career Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.