Advice for international applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreyF0X

FoxHound
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a few questions if you don't mind. My friend is an international student currently working on his Ph.D at our local University with a student visa. He has completed a bachelors in science (Chem i believe) and a masters in Biotechnology or Biochemistry, all of these were done back in India. My friend is interested in pursuing medicine. I was wondering if his pre req courses could transfer over so he doesn't have to take the classes again? Can he achieve this through spantran etc? Any other advice i can give him? I don't really know much about international applicants, he would like to practice and go to school in the U.S. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The premed school required courses cannot be transferred from a foreign University. They must be taken in the United States and he must have 90 units to be eligible for a US medical school.

The requirements are available in the MSAR (medical school admission requirements ) published by the AAMC.

I would also suggest posting any future questions regarding admission to a US medical school in the Pre allo forum.

There is some chance that a US school would consider his PhD credits as "equivalent". The only way to know is to ask. Not many med schools consider applicants on student visas, so options may be limited.

Reactions: 1 user