Advice for MSW programs (Southern California area). Pllleeeaaassseee help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starkarcadia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know people's experiences with MSW. Right now I'm having a difficult time choosing what programs would be right for me. I live in the southern california area and am looking at Cal State and UC schools. I'm doing my undergrad in psychology and was thinking of MSW programs that would have a strong clinical counseling emphasis. It seems as though USC, APU and Loma Linda might be a good fit, but I'm not sure. Also, they're a bit expensive!
I'm a bit lost right now. From my understanding the first year curriculum and field experience is more generalized, but the 2nd year placement would be more important. Even though schools say they have a "mental health" track I'm concerned how much and what kind of "counseling" skills I'd be learning. Of course, because it's SW I'd be learning a lot of other stuff too.

Maybe the biggest thing that works against me is the fact that I'm not "mobile." I don't have the option of either moving out of state or up north, etc.

Can anyone give me some feedback on MSW programs at Cal States and at UCs and USC?

Which one of these schools have a good clinical concentration?

Most of the schools have, the "mental health" stipend and a "mental health" or "community mental health" track. Is this sufficient enough that if I chose that route, I'd get placed at a good field practicum?

What if a student gets to the 2nd year and doesn't like their field placement. Do they have some leeway into choosing, changing, etc?

I really love how the NYU program sounds, but I'm not mobile:( so that's out of the question.

Any advice??????

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Members don't see this ad.

Even the most clinical MSW programs typically have students who learn the most in their field experiences. If you don't like your field placement, you generally have to have substantial reason to change it... there are contracts in place that often aren't easily negotiated... and training a student is hard work. So, if you decide to leave, it best be for great reason.

I have nothing specific to offer about the CA schools other than a few are some of the best in the nation. Good luck with your decision... I know it's not easy.

You have alot of specific questions for each school. USC I found was the easiest to contact via phone and answer all questions. But going to each schools information sessions would be helpful. I sugguest creating a list of specific questions each in the form of one short questions and call them directly.

At all the MSW programs the second year is when you will actually be placed in your specific concentration area. The school doesnt just place you somewhere, it is based on your experience and your area of concentration and you will be given the name of the locations and you must interview with the sites and only then will they be choosen. So its not very likely you'll end up doing a placement you dont like.

The mental health stipend is only offered in the second year.

As far as what type of mental health you would be learning, some of the schools you listed offer the list of classes you would be taking online including the mental health track. These are additional classes that will assist the student to focus more on areas like DSM and susbstance abuse to name a few.

Cost: USC offers scholarships but depending on your EFC be prepared to seek an additional 20k per year to pay for APU, LLU and USC.

Check each schools website for admission req and click on Fin Aid to see cost

School SW Handbook available online has specific info on the questions you asked.

(My undergrad was in SW and including FE)

Last edited:
Starkarcadia,
Before I applied to an MSW PROGRAM, I had to look into tuition fees, location and whether the program offered a part-time model. I really wanted to apply to USC and UCLA...but USC was too expensive and UCLA only offers a full-time msw program. There are many other schools near Los Angeles, CA. I would encourage you to visit the following website and check school rankings:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...uate-schools/top-social-work-schools/rankings
You should also contact each school and attend their program information meetings-- Also keep in mind that not all programs are accredited. You should check the following website to see if the program is accredited or working on accredidation... http://www.cswe.org/CSWE/
WHATEVER YOU DO... make sure the program is fully accredited and then focus on the ranking, and cost of tuition... location... part-time, full-time etc. Hope this helps...