advice for ophthalmoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgregory

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my vet told me to pass this info on -
i'm an optometrist and i have a recommendation for you on ophthalmoscopes if you are in the market to purchase one - the welsch allyn panoptic. i tried it out on my dog and got a much better view than with my regular direct ophtalmoscope. i then brought it to my vet (i have a good relationship with him - he literally saved my dog's life) and let him try it out for a week - he loves it. just some info for you docs.

Members don't see this ad.

drgregory said:
i'm an optometrist and i have a recommendation for you on ophthalmoscopes if you are in the market to purchase one - the welsch allyn panoptic. i tried it out on my dog and got a much better view than with my regular direct ophtalmoscope. i then brought it to my vet (i have a good relationship with him - he literally saved my dog's life) and let him try it out for a week - he loves it. just some info for you docs.

are you on welsch allyn's payroll???

drgregory said:

How do you get them to tolerate having the scope directly making contact with their periorbital region?

Members don't see this ad :)
monkey7247 said:
How do you get them to tolerate having the scope directly making contact with their periorbital region?
I do not make direct contact of the ophthalmoscope with the periorbital region...Is that done in humans?

it is done with the panoptic type (which is indirect ophthalmoscopy), but you can get a view without completely touching. but not with the traditional type ophthalmoscope (direct ophthalmoscopy)

julieDVM said:
are you on welsch allyn's payroll???

im the CEO of welsch allyn. no, i just figured since the vet i know was so excited about this i should pass it on. i didnt know he had the need to use an ophthalmoscope so much, but apparantly he does. keeler makes a nice unit. i also get commision from them. so make sure you buy welsch allyn or keeler :D

drgregory said:
it is done with the panoptic type (which is indirect ophthalmoscopy), but you can get a view without completely touching. but not with the traditional type ophthalmoscope (direct ophthalmoscopy)
Interesting. I do not touch the periorbital region doing either indirect or direct, never have seen it done that way on animals. I also have never gone to an ophthalmologist(human) so I did not know what they did.

Just in case anyone else hasn't seen it, this is what is being talked about:
http://panoptic.welchallyn.com/

I do not think doing this to a dog would be hard at all, but I do not think it would go over with a cat.........

chris03333 said:
I do not think doing this to a dog would be hard at all, but I do not think it would go over with a cat.........

its even difficult on some uncooperative humans...

I was actually recommended against this one in vet school.....

MicheleVet said:
I was actually recommended against this one in vet school.....
:laugh: Maybe that is why I have never seen anything like it before.....