Advice for Potential Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freudianslap

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long-time lurker.

Just wanted some advice on my situation, regarding a red flag on my application.

I'm a career changer and considering D.O. programs to pursue medicine. I've enrolled in an accelerated post-bacc, but just want to make sure that this is feasible given my situation, and given that I have a stable (albeit unfilling) job at the moment.

My path is from an Ivy league undergrad with a 3.5cgpa to a extremely prestigious law school. During 3L year, I became ill, and initially grades were maintained, but then I had to withdraw classes the last semester and take time off. I had a job in BigLaw in hand at the time that I had to resign. Getting health back on track took a financial toll, and I was unable to return to law school within the cut-off period (you cannot complete after a few years pass, without starting over, and the cost was too high).

I was able to secure work in an ancillary legal field, however, and have been in that career for coming up on 10 years, and have finally paid down my debt enough that I can pursue education and make a career-change.

Leaving aside all the usual considerations (assuming I do well on MCAT, EC's, etc.), is this past "failure" to complete a professional program a huge red flag that will be difficult to overcome?

Advice appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer- not an adcom.
My .02...
While I'm sure it would be something that would be questioned, having a legitimate health issue in that time seems like a valid reason for not completing the degree. And financial+time reasons for not redoing the whole degree also seem legitimate. If you can also assure them that the particular health issue is unlikely to arise again, then I wouldn't think it would be a deal breaker.

Concur. OP will have to prove that s/he can handle a med school curriculum...the law school performance will not count at all.

Disclaimer- not an adcom.
My .02...
While I'm sure it would be something that would be questioned, having a legitimate health issue in that time seems like a valid reason for not completing the degree. And financial+time reasons for not redoing the whole degree also seem legitimate. If you can also assure them that the particular health issue is unlikely to arise again, then I wouldn't think it would be a deal breaker.