Advice for Psychiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kobebeefmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How would you describe the quality of your personal statement last year?

Why do you ask? I thought my personal statement was focused but personal at the same time. Did not put to many applications out this year, somewhat unsure of what I wanted to do.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a US-IMG, better than average board scores and great LORs, did not match this year.

Will apply psychiatry this upcoming year. I have a unique background, with a few year of acting under my belt after college. Fun times, the experience imparted me with visceral insight to the fragility of the human mind and how mental illness were expressed in great playwrights.

I will be working full time at a healthcare technology company this year, but want to show my dedication to psychiatry in my spare time. My interests are in cognitive behavioral psychiatry or clinical pharmacology. Any advice is appreciated.

Like heyjack70, after reading your post I also associated to your personal statement - how did you explain the acting background? I think that it would make sense to point out ways in which this experience is valuable to you. Sentences like "visceral insight to the fragility of the human mind" could, potentially, be construed as self-aggrandizing. Also, in terms of describing your interests - 'cognitive behavioral psychiatry' and 'clincial pharmacology' are somewhat uncommon phrases when describing ones interests in psychiatry. You may mean something different but why not say 'cognitive behavioral therapy'? And clinical pharmacology doesn't seem like an interest - we all have to prescribe meds. If this has a more specific meaning for you, it is not one that is coming across. I don't mean to pretend as if I have all the answers but since you didn't match I thought to give my opinions, such as they are.

Need more information. What specialties did you apply to last cycle? How many programs did you apply to? What are your stats? Any red flags? Where did you go to med school? Was your clinical training in the US?

Apply early and apply broadly. The majority of applicants with no red flags don't match on the basis of either applying to too few/too competitive programs or applying late in the season.

This is particularly true for IMGs/DOs or MDs with substandard apps. Schools keep producing more graduates and GME is not growing in size accordingly.