Advice for Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VolPreMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

If possible, I would be very grateful for advice on how to improve my application for this application cycle.

Here are a rundown of my stats from last year and what I have done in the meantime.

- Undergrad GPA: total 3.89; BCPM: 3.92, 4.00 for the past 6 semesters. (now: 3.90 and 3.95, respectively)
- MCAT: 31 (PS 11, V 9, BS 11)
- Undergrad Research Assistant ~1.5 years
- ~250 hours shadowing over many specialties
- Volunteer Wildlife Rehabilitator ~300 hours
- ~8 hours a week working for a local vending business for the past several years. (I can expand upon this if needed)
- Part of several extracurricular groups on campus that focused on Christian ministry activities/volunteering.

My application was submitted *very* late (in November).

I am an applicant from Tennessee. I applied to 15 schools (all MD schools) and received interviews at 3.

1) My state school - UT Memphis Health Science Center - waitlisted
2) Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science - waitlisted
3) SUNY Downstate COM - rejected without waitlist

Looking back on my application, I obviously am severely lacking in clinical volunteering and volunteer work in general. To correct this, I am now volunteering for local agencies and will be volunteering for a local hospital. I am also applying for a volunteer EMS position. Lastly, I was recently hired by Kaplan to teach MCAT prep courses.

So, what else should I do to improve my chances of acceptance this year and what other things should I be focusing on to improve my application?

Edit: Would I be better off delaying the submission of my application until I have more hours in each of these positions or should I go ahead and apply within the next week so that it is early?

Thank you all for any and all advice/criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
apply now. it's mid June. tick tock.

Reactions: 1 user
That hospital volunteering is important and accumulate as much hours as possible. Do not delay your application but apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July. Apply broadly to at least 25 schools. These are schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
Your 2 Tennessee state schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Sophie Davis (new school)
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
California Northstate (new school)
Also apply to 6 or more DO schools and you are competitive for any DO school.