advice for sub-internships in northeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyb

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to do an IM sub-internship in NY or nearby tristate area such as NJ and CT in order to have a better chance of matching there. I am not set on being in NYC specifically, but I know the major academic centers are located in NYC, so I am also interested in NJ/CT or even northeast PA

Some background: low 220s STEP1, top 20 US school, no other red flags

What should I prioritize when selecting a place to do a sub-internship in IM? Should I try for a reach program, given my scores, or try for ones that are more likely to look at my app?

What are hospital programs to consider and what programs to avoid completely in NY/NJ/CT area?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am hoping to do an IM sub-internship in NY or nearby tristate area such as NJ and CT in order to have a better chance of matching there. I am not set on being in NYC specifically, but I know the major academic centers are located in NYC, so I am also interested in NJ/CT or even northeast PA

What should I prioritize when selecting a place to do a sub-internship in IM? Should I try for a reach program, given my scores, or try for ones that are more likely to look at my app?

What are hospital programs to consider and what programs to avoid completely in NY/NJ/CT area?

Thanks!
There is absolutely no need for an AMG to do an away Sub-I in IM. You're more likely to mess things up for yourself than to have a positive impact on your app. Also recognize that many of the "top tier" programs don't allow visiting students to do Sub-I rotations, only sub-specialty. So you're less likely to have meaningful contact with core IM faculty.

Thanks!

agree

don’t sub-I

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what programs you are aiming for but coming from a top 20 school, if you were to do a sub-I, you should do it at a reach school i.e the shcool you actually want to match at. you really have nothing to lose in this situation and programs are more likely to take chance on someone who is from a pedigree school ( i.e top 5 or 10 or 20 or whatever) with a relative low step score than someone who have a good step score but come from a no name school (i have plenty of anecdotal experience with this situation). the catch is that you have to meet the minimum requirement for wahtever cut-offs they have. Like gutonc have said, it is true that you are more likely to mess things up than to impress, but how bad can you really mess things up as a med student on an IM rotation? if you are just work hard, try to be helpful, have a personality and be a nice human being that everyone enjoy to work with then you are half way there. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a DO student in that area who did not do an away sub-i and I've had no issues getting interviews at big name academic hospitals (though obviously not like Columbia or UPenn). If its not been an issue for me, I highly doubt it will be for someone coming from a top med school.

I don't know what programs you are aiming for but coming from a top 20 school, if you were to do a sub-I, you should do it at a reach school i.e the shcool you actually want to match at. you really have nothing to lose in this situation and programs are more likely to take chance on someone who is from a pedigree school ( i.e top 5 or 10 or 20 or whatever) with a relative low step score than someone who have a good step score but come from a no name school (i have plenty of anecdotal experience with this situation). the catch is that you have to meet the minimum requirement for wahtever cut-offs they have. Like gutonc have said, it is true that you are more likely to mess things up than to impress, but how bad can you really mess things up as a med student on an IM rotation? if you are just work hard, try to be helpful, have a personality and be a nice human being that everyone enjoy to work with then you are half way there. Just my 2 cents.
How bad? You do not get even a courtesy interview.

Would NOT do away at a place that you actually want to be...better you get a great LoR from a know someone that Then impressed them.

I mean, it really depends doesn't it? I did an away at a definitely reach school and was offered an interview specifically because I did that away and my attending spoke to the PD. That was a sub-I though. I also did an elective rotation in Nephrology at a significantly less competitive school and was offered nothing, even though I did fairly well ( in my estimation at least).

Aways only help if you get meaningful interaction with the PD or have a faculty member vouch/write a letter for you. Otherwise, they're a waste of money.